• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

martial arts in publi schools could it work?

I think martial arts in the public school system would be a great idea. I know there are alot of kids out there who lack discipline and self confidence that it would greatly benefit, also maybe it would cut down on children being bullied because they would be taught to respect one another.

Semper Fi , Dave

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my hometown, Bayonne NJ, the way Tae Kwon Do is taught on school property is through the Community Education Program. Residents throughout the city receive a booklet of many courses offered, including TKD, and it's available for kids right after school, and also teens and adults at other times.

The limitation is that it's non-contact, the same now as it was twenty years ago, and it's obviously a legal concern. But since people attend private non-contact schools, it's not an anomaly.

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

One thing that I forgot to mention is that although I think Martial arts should be made available in schools, it should never be made compulsory. If that was the case I think it'd have quite a negative effect.

There's no way I can see this in American schools, only because it would challenge the "Zero Tolerance Policy".

Teaching students how to defend themselves is definitely a bad idea. If a student is attacked, and they achieve light control in order to potentially save their lives, they get suspended! No matter what! There's no way martial arts should be taught in public schools.

I don't really see this as an issue at all. Case-in-point; Wrestling is already a sport option in most school systems. Other Martial Arts can be taught in a similar premise without any concern.

There's no way I can see this in American schools, only because it would challenge the "Zero Tolerance Policy".

Teaching students how to defend themselves is definitely a bad idea. If a student is attacked, and they achieve light control in order to potentially save their lives, they get suspended! No matter what! There's no way martial arts should be taught in public schools.

I don't really see this as an issue at all. Case-in-point; Wrestling is already a sport option in most school systems. Other Martial Arts can be taught in a similar premise without any concern.

I agree with bushido_man96 on this one. Its not that much different than kids learning outside of school in any case. The same thing could still happen.

As a side note, I have a friend from Hong Kong who was taught MA as part of sports classes from junior school upwards.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I agree with bushido_man96 on this one. Its not that much different than kids learning outside of school in any case. The same thing could still happen.

As a side note, I have a friend from Hong Kong who was taught MA as part of sports classes from junior school upwards.

The paragraph you quoted was my "this is what would be said by the community", my true feelings were expressed below. :D

The paragraph you quoted was my "this is what would be said by the community", my true feelings were expressed below. :D

Truestar speaks the truth! His actual feelings were:

Now for the reality aspect, absolutely. I think it would be awesome to get high schools involved in tournaments and whatnot. My dojang would always come before my school, however I would be more than glad to compete, train, and share my knowledge of the martial arts with my peers.

Unfortunately my fake little ramble up top is the argument of a lot of people. Martial Arts is taught a little bit in schools, (EKP-Education Karate Program), but that's as much as I've ever heard in schools and MA.

Truestar, this is the danger of first playing Devil's Advocate, and then coming across with the "Right Stuff." I remember when I first read it, I was shocked--then relieved when right reason prevailed in the end!

:) :D :karate:

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

In my school, I have a friend thats in wrestling, and I wanted to learn karate, but I had to find a dojo because the school doesn't and wont teeach it because its more physical with less padding then most sports, wrestling is mainly grappling and submission

I cannot prevent the wind from blowing, but I can adjust my sails to make it work for me

I would say that Wrestling is just as physical as Karate is, if not more so. It just doesn't have the striking aspect, which is what public schools tend to shy away from.

As for the topic of this thread, i don't believe that martial arts should be put into public schools for the main fact that martial arts isn't for everybody. It is a commitment, and if children are forced to take it, they will do the same thing they do all day in school: horse around, not pay attention, and come to despise being put there. I think that would be a blasphemy. Then again, not many feel as strongly as i do.

I feel the same way. Forcing someone to do something they don't want it never a good idea.

I am, however, attending college this fall, and there are martial arts classes offered at my university. I think that this is a wonderful opportunity, for it gives young adults the opportunity to partake in a new experience that may change their lives, while not being mandatory.

I am slightly apprehensive about the quality of the teaching, however, but am looking forward to it nonetheless.

Good luck!

<3