• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Capoeira...

Just as a side comment, if you want to jump high, do those squats, but take away allt he weight and do them as fast as you can. Training muscles for strength is good in most cases and helpful but you need to train your muscles for speed too, which means you should do something that doesnt take weights and just move them as fast as you can. But also thats actualyl relaly cool yoru trygint to start capoeira. I'm also 14, i'm 6 foot and only 160. I'm not built like you are from what i've read of your work outs, but i have also always though capoeira was realyl cool and nice and interesting. Good luck finding a place, but here is also a website that is really interestings jsut to see some things and mess around when you get bored although odds are that if you use these techniques, its completely done wrong, but its still fun. Just look at this website, its fun if not for martial arts, then at least learning to breakdance. http://www.caporehber.com/stil.htm

(i wish ic ould do a cartwheel though, that woudl amke all that stuff so much easier [just as a question, since you did gymnastics, how do you do a cartwheel or like back handspring anyway?])

Focus

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as a side comment, if you want to jump high, do those squats, but take away allt he weight and do them as fast as you can. Training muscles for strength is good in most cases and helpful but you need to train your muscles for speed too, which means you should do something that doesnt take weights and just move them as fast as you can.

Actually, that's not speed training. that is muscular endurance and plyometric training.

I have played hockey for about 8 years and did gymnastics when I was really young, so balance isn't too big of a thing.

Also from hockey I have developed tremendous leg strength. I am 14 and can squat about 220 and can do leg press about 240. I do 10 reps 3 times.

Elbows_And_Knees, I am glad to hear that your instructor knows of a local place, thanks for asking him.

when u squat or whatever weight workout,use a weight u can lift about 6-8 reps.This way u build more muscle.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

So more wieght, less reps?

Elbows_And_Knees, any news on classes around here?

There will always be the Jackie Chans and Jet Li's who will come along and dazzle us with their screen antics. But Bruce Lee was a seeker of knowledge, a true master of the fighting arts and philosophy.

yep,that way u challenge your body to work harder and therefore make your body build more muscle to get used to it.Remember this thoug eat tons of protein.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

Uh, sorry to contradict you, but if your growing, you dont want to use alot of weight because this can stunt your growth. And plyometric training is training to get explosive power in the legs (i.e. jumping). A good way of doing this is DROPPING off a box or something then right away jumping back up. You dont want to strain yourself with that much weight.

Focus

I didn't go to class on fri - one of my students had his first fight last week (he won), so I had to go watch. I will see what he found out on wednesday. however, I did a search on my own and found this:

http://www.capoeirista.com/schools.html?q=United%20States&state=North%20Carolina

Uh, sorry to contradict you, but if your growing, you dont want to use alot of weight because this can stunt your growth. And plyometric training is training to get explosive power in the legs (i.e. jumping). A good way of doing this is DROPPING off a box or something then right away jumping back up. You dont want to strain yourself with that much weight.

plyometric strength is not just jumping. It does not have to involve jumping, but that is the most common format. Plyometric training can be done on the whole body, not just the legs. For the upper body, you can do plyo pushups, the neider press and medicine ball throws. you're 14, correct? I'm 27 and have been lifting since I was 13...

As far as growth goes, you aren't contradicting me at all. lifting heavy weight can damage the epiphysis - growth plat4es - of your bones. you can lift at that age safely, just do so in a higher rep range.

dude if youre some little kid,then yeah.I don't know how old u are to know were u at.Anyways we don't stop growing untill 25 for guys supposedly,so u can't tell that stuff to some 20 yr. old body builder.