• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kyokushin Finishing Stance

Superfoot

Can anyone tell me the origin of the finishing stance many Kyokushin fighters use, where they knock down their opponent and throw a low punch over one hand and bring it back to the chambered position?

Just curious, every style seems to have a winning salute, but this one seems to be consistent among the fighters of Kyokushin.

Thanx.

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Don't know of it's origins, but it demonstrates that you have complete control over the opponent once they are down and could finish them off with one punch.

Just a strength/control thing.

My Nidan Grading! Check it Out: http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=27140

OSU!

"Behind each triumph are new peaks to be conquered." - Mas Oyama

Dojo Kun:http://www.diegobeltran.com/htms/dojo/dojokun.htm

https://www.kyokushinkarate.cjb.net

Yes, that makes sense. They do the same thing in Daido Juku, except they do the punch twice, then stamp the floor twice. Probably because stamping an opponent in allowed in that sport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coup_de_grace

So the move is performed to show that you COULD finish off someone, but you will not. Well you wouldn't would you? Is it just an indicator to show that "my opponent can't defend himself and I have mastery over him, as I can throw this low punch with ease"? I've always been curious about this celebration. Yeah, I think your both right, its more about control over ones opponent and oneself. Neat. Same with the Daido Juku, their celebration is probably also to show that "I could stomp right now". Or maybe it's just the adrenaline. Either way, fascinating how one art develops into another, and even changes in victory stances can be seen, in lieu with the sport aspect.

I knocked down a senior instructor with a gedan mawashigeri. My first instinct was to rush over to see if he was ok. I was criticized by the instructor, but not harshly, for forgetting to administer the coup de grace. The guy was ok and was looking for pay-back before time was called.

...at the first kyokushin world tournaments trowing and swiping was ok...

...usually wazari was acorded when after ashi barai you did a quick seiken tsuki to show that you could hit him...otherwise it wasn't valid...

...i think that might be the reason for today's gesture...

Yeah, I was thinking the same! You don't really hit them after the sweep, you just do so to show you could. And you do the same for any other technique. Although I must admit, I never seen anyone perform the coup de grace ("blow of mercy"or "death-blow" in French) after using a punch to end the fight.

Meguro, how did you knock down your Sempai?

He was fighting me southpaw. I took out his lead leg with a kick to his inner thigh.

To follow up on Kyospirit's reply, in competition, to score wih a sweep you've got to follow-up with a strike (but you're not allowed to hit a downed opponent) hence the gesture.

Good question! I was wondering about the same thing when I was watching some fight videos (probably yours) lately. The refs always seem to jump in pretty quick after the victor thows that one last punch. Are the refs worried that the victor might start attacking the guy on the ground?

"Don't tell me what I can't do."