• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are some good questions to ask the instructor of a club prior to joining?

I know the quality of the club is great, the people there have produced many provincial champs.

Thanks guys.

"Beware the fury of a patient man."

- John Dryden

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

size of the room/s,

how many higher grades,

how many in the class,

how much pad work/sparring/kata they do

sylabus,

whatever you want to know, just ask them. I'm sure they would be happy to talk to any1 thinking about goining.

"Turn to face the sun,

your shodows will fall behind you"

A good thing to look out for...

if you visit the place, check how much sweat is on the floor, at my place there are plenty ( you would think it was raining in one place! :P There are like rings and rings of sweat surounding a heavy bag :P )

I don't believe Muay Thai performs any katas. Check how much pad work they do and how much they spar. Also check the quality of the bags at the place along with the Thai Pads. Otherwise ask them what they usualy do in each session.

Aikido have names for techniques like "heaven and earth."which represents the creation of the universe along with a philosophical meaning.

Muay Thai have names for techniques like "closing the lamp", which means "punch him in the eye."

how many higher grades,

how much kata they do

These will not apply to a thai boxing class. Some things to think about:

you say he's produced several champs - if you don't wanna compete, do they try and force you?

is the training different for the competitors and non-competitors? If so, then how?

watch a session and determine what you think of the training.

Most important, talk to the students. An instructor may tell you what he wants you to hear in order to get you to join. The students will be less biased.

isn't traditional Muay Thai trained just like boxing? If not it is now =)

Aikido have names for techniques like "heaven and earth."which represents the creation of the universe along with a philosophical meaning.

Muay Thai have names for techniques like "closing the lamp", which means "punch him in the eye."

traditional MT has kata/forms/set of movements to practice.

There is no traditional muay thai. you are referring to muay boran, which is a concoction of knowledge of the previous muay styles. muay thai has no kata - unless people try to count the ram muay and wai kru.