• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Responding to Compliments in Martial Arts

Superfoot

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Granted, I'm not in martial arts - but, if I was, I would simply express gratitude and move on. :)

Edited by Patrick

Lol, my old Karate techer rarely ever gave us compliments. There was always something wrong with what we were doing. Which in a way is good, but there are times when you like to know your training has payed off.

So on the rare occasion when he did give us compliments it was usually well hidden and sort of left you very warm and fuzzy and you never really knew what to say. Your sort of thinking, "did he just give me a compliment or not?" Lol!

I punched my old teacher in the nose and he was like AHHHH HELLLL NO!!! BOY YOU DID NOYT JUST BRING OUT THE SHOTOKAN PUNCH OF A THOUSAND FISTS?!

Then the floor exploded and I never saw my teacher again.

See, if I would've been a nice boy and said thank you to the compliment, everything would be alright and I would still be in the old shack of a dojo right now. But I became rude and arrogant and this happened. I endud up on the other side of the planet.

Remember, when you compliment another person, try to honestly remember how you thought and wish to be felt and responded back. Do what you wished to have felt to those who want to be felt.

Okay, forget everything I said. Just bow and say thanks...or give them the daily McDojo fee.

If you take a crooked path and have to go through a cliff. Either hope there is a bridge, or learn to fly.