• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

RFB,

I'm sure you will. My uncle is Master Jerry Brown, I thought I caught him. He's a 7th Dan with the Colorado USTF group under GM Chuck Scherif (sp). TSD, I just faced off with one of thoes bad boys in Reno last month.......kicked my tail! Bigtime! It was fun.

-Adam

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from the beginning, i learn ITF, but now i learn GTF, my class suddenly change into GTF organization, but we still use itf pattern in the competition, only use few new pattern like Ko-Dang(most),our pattern still using ITF style to play

Jumping kicks must have a reason, to cover distance, or to take down a mounted opponent.

Jook-Am blackbelt 2nd dan pattern

GTF Taekwondo

Chinese Kick Boxing Junior Learner

https://www.sonkal.cz

Interesting to hear about ITF vs. WTF.

My school is ITF. I had no idea it was "rare."

I also thought that there were two main differences:

1. different forms (we do Chon-Ji, Dan-Gun, etc. and the adults also do the Palgwe forms)

2. no contact to light contact in sparring. Point sparring, I think it's called.

Doesn't WTF use full-contact in sparring?

It would seem to me that the lower amount of contact in sparring would make ITF more approachable for most people. I know that some people probably like to fight harder, but not everyone! Not me for example.

There are slightly more men in my dojang. In a WTF dojang, are there lots more men? (I understand that some women want harder contact and olympic training, but I would guess they're a bit rare).

I had no idea it was "rare."

I had no idea either - ITF schools number the same as WTF in my local area. I'm WTF, but my Master often does cross training sessions with a couple of ITF and independant TKD clubs/groups.

Yes, WTF do fight full contact (no punching to head, though).

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I had no idea it was "rare."

I had no idea either - ITF schools number the same as WTF in my local area. I'm WTF, but my Master often does cross training sessions with a couple of ITF and independant TKD clubs/groups.

Yes, WTF do fight full contact (no punching to head, though).

In the UK, the ITF is much more popular than in the States. I'v been quite surprised that in the Los Angeles, CA area there are only a handful of schools. An ITF guy told me recently that there's only about 10,000 ITF folks in the USA. The WTF probably has that in California alone.

Its a shame that there's such division between them. Both have great things to learn from one another & have so much in common.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton