• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason I ask is because ITF is an extremely rare kind of martial artist to find in my area, when I meet a person who says he does TKD they dont know there are different federations. or they mix it in with two different styles calling it there own art.

If you wash your hands in anger, you never have clean hands

could anyone explain to me what is Chung Hun forms?

Jumping kicks must have a reason, to cover distance, or to take down a mounted opponent.

Jook-Am blackbelt 2nd dan pattern

GTF Taekwondo

Chinese Kick Boxing Junior Learner

https://www.sonkal.cz

could anyone explain to me what is Chung Hun forms?

The name for a group of forms (like Tae Guek & Pal Gue). They each have unique names (Chon-Ji, Chung Moo etc).

BTW: ITF is very rare EVERYWHERE!

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

OK, but how many of you who say you teach or practice ITF forms (but are not affliated with the ITF) are really doing it like the ITF teaches and practices them? I know a lot of independent groups/schools teach the Chang Hon Pattern Set, but how many outside of the ITF actually practices their Tuls exactly the way the ITF does?

I have visited many non-ITF affliated TKD schools that did indeed teach the Chang Hon Set and claimed that they teach "ITF style" TKD, but did not utilize the Sine-Wave and had even added movements to the different Tuls, and called them "Hyungs" or "Katas" instead of using the ITF terminology for forms, "Tuls."

I know that the USTF located in Hot Springs, Arkansas practices their forms as the ITF teaches them. This USTF is not to be confused with the USTF out of Colorado that is (or was) affliated with the ITF. This Hot Springs USTF was also one time affliated with the Global Taekwon-Do Federation whom I understand also practices the Chang Hon Set with the Sine-Wave and also uses ITF terminologies. Maybe there are other groups as well that do, but these are all that I can think of.

Names for forms:

Hyungs - used by Tang Soo Do and Independent TKD groups

Poomse - used by the WTF

Tuls - used by the ITF

Different ways to write TKD:

Tae Kwon Do - generic, used by mainly Independent TKD groups

Taekwondo - used by the WTF and the ATA

Taekwon-Do - used by the ITF and the GTF

RFB

is this Master Brown by chance?

LOL! No Master here.

Was an ITF student several years ago in Midland, TX but dropped out due to job. Have moved a few times and am now living in the Dallas area and have shopped around a little for a good Martial Arts school and would prefer getting back into the ITF. The closest thing I have found however is a local school that is a member of the USTF (the Hot Springs one, not the Colorado one), but my goodness gracious, boy oh boy are they expensive, way out of my budget. I am now busy trying to make my muscle memory forget the Sine Wave and make the transition to Tang Soo Do which is offered at a local Y for a really good bargain price and the instructor is top notch. He likes to claim that his class is "half the price and twice the value." I have to agree with what little I have been exposed to so far.

I am now in my late 40s and doing all I can to get my body back into shape working out a lot on my own. Every time I get started good though I get handed a special work project that takes all my time and energy and I have to put it off, so it gets frustrating. However, for the last several years as sort of a hobby, I have done a tremendous amount of Internet research into the history of the Martial Arts, especially TKD, so please forgive me if I come across as sort of a know it all, but in reality am not even Dan ranked! :o

Give me time though, I will get there. :brow:

RFB