• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goju Ryu BB

Kumori

I just got back from the dojo , there are 35 katas, I counted.

If you want ill try to get a list and post them

That would be nice , list them .

35 katas is WAY too much

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing 35 may include some very short homemade kata. With that in mind, 35 isn't so hard to believe. Not that there's anything wrong with homemade kata, which can really add value to the system itself - in fact, all the old masters encouraged this kind of thing so karate would remain relevant.

But if this guy comes out with a list of 23 kata that nobody's ever heard of and 12 classic kata, the list itself won't mean that much.

But sure, list them anyway. :)

I head to the dojo again friday, Ill copy the list.

The list has the name , rank learned , and creator

There is your clue. Geki SAi Katas were created my Chojun Miyagi. The other basic 10 Katas were created before that. So the extra 20 or so were created by someone else since, and are not part of the typical Okinawan GOJU teachings. I'm not saying that this is bad, I'm just stating the facts.

Some of the Katas are used by other styles as well. Sensei Miyagi was part of a committee that set a standard of several katas across all recognized styles in Okinawa at the time. For example, Sanchin Kata is used by several styles.

Edited by gojupralgo

If all of the fundamentals can be found in the original or traditional forms (especially sesan and seiunchin), and students then receive a simpler application of the Art from the Gekisai sets, then why bother adding more kata???

Does more kata mean more money?

Or a possible misunderstanding (of the principles or application) of the original kata in the first place....

Just some thoughts...

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...