• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goju Ryu BB

Kumori

Quick question... I asked my sensei about how long it would take for me to reach black belt. He told me at the rate im going and if I keep it up , around 4-5 years... Now today in class I asked about a kata , and he said he will teach me after black belt. Then another student chimes in , "wouldnt that take 17ish years?" and he says yes.... So Im like WTF ? ?

Im 14 , white belt , been studing for 4 weeks.

Im getting tested in 2 weeks for yellow.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

most of those katas are beginers katas in "H" or "T"

patterns, your actual katas are around 12 , in old time they used to practice a kata for 2-3 years but now a days by the time you get your black belt you will know them all. but it is not just the moves in kata, there are lots of details involve, knowing the moves is not same as knowing a kata. even a simple kata like fukyugata dai iech , when your sensei performs it ,doesn't look like a beginers kata.

most of those katas are beginers katas in "H" or "T"

patterns, your actual katas are around 12 , in old time they used to practice a kata for 2-3 years but now a days by the time you get your black belt you will know them all.

Not every school is like this at all. In fact, with many schools you have several more kata to learn after getting your black belt. You're right that a lot of the tuite in those early kata will be more apparent to a black belt, and obviously all the kyu rank kata should be done perfectly by the time you're a black belt.

There also may be standards for getting Dan ranks. It's not completely uncommon to have to have 2 years betwen 1st and 2nd Dan, then 5 years betwen 3rd and 4th, etc. Assuming you're 18 when you get your black belt, and if that particular kata is a high ranking black belt kata, it might be a while before you learn it.

Don't stress about it. You'll get there as long barring any major injuries and you don't quit.

It's good that you want to learn advanced kata, but you need to learn how to learn kata and use kata first.

My suggestion is not to focus on acheiving your blackbelt. Focus on acheiving the skill necessary to use your kata. When you are ready, you're teacher will teach you. Don't let the black belt distract you.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

Ditto from me...Good points.

:)

:karate:

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

IOGKF is very good. I was asking, bacause my Uncle has an IOGKF school in Soiuthern California. I'm familiar with what you would be training in.

The advice you have been receiving in response is very good. Your Sensei is not holding you back in any way. Concentrate on improving what you have been taught. The rest will come soon enough.