• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

need help with sparring...ROAR

he's taller than you - staying close up is NOT within his range. His ideal range is his arm's length. since his arms are longer, he's not going to be able to infight as well as you. Tyson in his prime was a perfect example of this. What you need to do, as has been stated, is use your footwork to get inside of him. Once you are inside, go to work.

Getting inside is harder than it sounds. LOTS of head movement and great footwork are necessary. Neither are instinctual to most people, so it will take a lot of work to make it second nature. Also, make angles on him - don't just stand in the same spot.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
i might not be as experienced as Justfulwardog & AndrewGreen, but i guess it also depends on which MA u do. cause if u do Muay Thai, i don't think bobbing will work against knees (and yes...i DID bob against a knee and it hurts sooooooo much :cry:

Bobbing and weaving is not supposed to work against knees - it works best against hooks and other arcing attacks. The reason you don't see bobbing and weaving in muay thai is not necessarily because they use knees. If you bob correctly, you are not low enough that you are ducking straight into a knee anyway - you are only moving low enough for his fist to graze the top of your head. If you ducked into a knee (which I have done as well), either you ducked too low or he was flexible enough (or had long enough legs) to knee that high.

When you think about it, when was the last time you saw a hook punch thrown in a thai match fought by fighters from thailand? it's rare. They favor straight punches. and those are considered inferior to the kicks, elbows_and_knees.

Yeah...cause if u stay outside he will touch u but u won't. If ur inside, it will be too hard for him to hit u since he's gotta be a bit further

"I am the greatest. Not only do I knock em out, I pick the round!" - Muhammad Ali

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein