• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Before I mark up my walls......

What do you guys use to gauge how far your stretching is going?

Kinda like a fat caliper to gauge how much body fat you have. Come on, I know you guys aren't using protractors :lol:

I was thinking of setting up a board, and having my wife mark my feet. Kinda like seeing how tall you are.

Any other ideas?

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My first question is "Why do you need a device to measure?" but I realize everyone has they're "thing". (I've got plenty of my own.)

The only way I know to "accurately" measure is with a stretching machine (such as a Versaflex). I put accurately in quotes cuz, while it has a measuring devise like a protractor built in, a taller person & a short one would have different measurements to start out. (Its just where it hits your body when you sit in it.)

I would suggest a stretching technique I learned @ a Bill Wallace seminar back in the stone ages. Sit on the floor w/ your legs apart a only a 90 degree angle. Set a timer for 2 (or 3) minutes. At the end of the time, put 1 hand in front of you, one in back, & move yourself forward (that is legs apart) only one inch. ...For another 2 or 3 miniutes. Do this 10 times.

Its boring as anything, so do it while watching TV or reading or something. But doing it daily (or even 3 times a week) will really help your stretch. I've been doing it for years & its helped a lot.

Sorry it doesn't directly answer you question Orion. But I think that if you do this, you'll see results.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

I agree totally a stretching machine would be perfect. I dont judge my stretching because i just get annoyed with myself if i couldnt go as far as i did say yesterday id then try hard and subsequently get injured.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

What do you guys use to gauge how far your stretching is going?

Kinda like a fat caliper to gauge how much body fat you have. Come on, I know you guys aren't using protractors :lol:

I was thinking of setting up a board, and having my wife mark my feet. Kinda like seeing how tall you are.

Any other ideas?

I usually use the lines between the mats. Line one leg up along the line, crotch at the corner, and see how far away from 90 I can get my other leg. On bad days about 2 inches. :lol: On good days, I can get to about 150 degrees.

Ice's drill is good, I use that one as well. Hurdlers stretches, frog stretches, almost anything that helps stretch the hamstrings and pelvic girdle will help with the splits.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

yeah, I can't understand for the life of me why someone would wanna 'mark their walls' when surely doing the splits horizontally on the ground would be much easier to measure... :roll:

Maybe if vertical splits is your particular hang up - you can judge how you're doing by whether you can easily smash a light bulb from a stationary stand...

I also wonder about that latter point - when Bruce Lee did his lightbulb smash kick in Tower of Death, was there never a risk that he could electricute himself? (serious question) Do you need rubber soles to guarantee you protection?

There are no limits.

http://taekwondodiaries.blogspot.com

^^*

yeah, I can't understand for the life of me why someone would wanna 'mark their walls' when surely doing the splits horizontally on the ground would be much easier to measure... :roll:

Maybe if vertical splits is your particular hang up - you can judge how you're doing by whether you can easily smash a light bulb from a stationary stand...

I also wonder about that latter point - when Bruce Lee did his lightbulb smash kick in Tower of Death, was there never a risk that he could electricute himself? (serious question) Do you need rubber soles to guarantee you protection?

Jill, Shhh! Don't give Orion any ideas. Next thing ya know, he'll be... :D

Dunno about the electrocution (good question) but what about the glass raining down on you, too?

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Hmmm, I think the glass would only break into a limited amount of pieces... I'm reckoning electrocution would be a greater threat...

Any takers?

Let's get Orion to test it out:D

nope, incandescent lightbulbs disperse nearly all of their current into heat and light, leaving very little voltage to worry about. Your foot would just about have to go into the socket for the current to be able to jump to your foot. I would know too, I smashed a blub with me head in the crawlspace once.. oops.. lol

Anyway, I have great stretch, and the only thing I really do is do the splits when I get the chance (eating a sandwich, shower, standing in line.. etc).. or sit funny. When I wasn't able to do full splits I kept a small index card booklet of measurements, where I'd take a ruler and measure how far I was from the ground at full extention. If anything it at least gives you an idea as to how much progress you're making. The only real way to get better stretch.. is to keep stretching!

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"