• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Orange belt testing coming up.. extremely nervous..

Hey everyone,

I've got my from-yellow-to-orange belt testing coming up in 3 weeks, kinda nervous.. Ok, actually very nervous..

It's going to be a one hour written exam on centerline theory, ki channels, pressure points (and their names), history, combat psych, herbal medicine (various tree barks, leaves and fungi for healing and harming), anatomy, meditation techniques.. and a bunch of other stuff i'm sure..

and then, 3 hours on the floor!

Every (white & yellow) kick (7), block (5), knife hand(s) (4), punch (7) from every stance (6, I think) with each arm and leg (5 times each).. I'm a math major, and i calculate that that is alot!

That of course means roundhouses from backstances, front push kicks from horse stances, and every awkward combo you can think of..

Then of course there's kata, sparring, breaking, grappling, knife defence, break falls, rolls, throws, pivots, and probably some surprises..

And of course, timingwise it falls right in the middle of midterms.

I admit, I'm scared. I'm freaking out.

Any idea how I should prepare for something like this?

My endurance isn't so great, and I know after the inital do-everything-from-everything thing, i won't have the strength left to do my katas right, nor spar, or actually anything.. i think i'll probably have a heart attack.

Any ideas? :o

PhnxShnx

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

slip your instructor a 20 :P

LOL....well, that might work.

My best advice? Relax. Everything that they are testing on, you have already internalized and can do, otherwise, they wouldn't allow you to test. The more you stress and tense up, the more you will block your training and memory.

Get rest, visualize things before you go to bed, lots of mental review and run through your kicks and forms at least once a day, eat well and just have a good mental outlook.

If you tell yourself that you are going to freak out and fail, then you will. If you go at it with a positive approach, you've already won 1/2 the battle (The mastery of self.)

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

how to improve your endurance have a mainly carbohydrate meal with some essential fats and some protein. You should eat quite alot of protein the night before as this will help repair your body for the next day. The nervousness thing is right under your nose use meditation concentrate on one thing and one thing only nothing exists except that thing. Last of all practice if you know all of your stuff inside out you will pass. Praxtice practice and more practice visualise your katas in your brain while your not doing anything. Drink some Lucozade sport before you test and continue to take sips along with water throught your test if this is allowed. Your guaranteed to have enough energy. One thing i found was if i had the will to pass i forgot about everything getting tired etc

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

how to improve your endurance have a mainly carbohydrate meal with some essential fats and some protein. You should eat quite alot of protein the night before as this will help repair your body for the next day. Drink some Lucozade sport before you test and continue to take sips along with water throught your test if this is allowed. Your guaranteed to have enough energy.

If you haven't eaten high protein meals or drank Lucozade (Sports drink?) before, then I wouldn't suggest changing your meal routine the week/day of the test. You don't know how your body will react. Some people get constipated with a high protein meal, and your body can do funny stuff when you introduce new foods.

I had a cross country race that got delayed, so I had 2 or 3 lollipops (Tootsie pops IIRC), and 1/2 way through the race I got the worst stomach cramps I've ever had.

Experiment with foods and drink during classes, etc, but don't change it the week/day of the test.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

My endurance isn't so great, and I know after the inital do-everything-from-everything thing, i won't have the strength left to do my katas right, nor spar, or actually anything.. i think i'll probably have a heart attack.

Any ideas? :o

Wind Sprints. Helps build up your endurance.

Try going at a punching bag (8 rounds, 2 minute rounds, 1 minute rest, in between the rests, doing pushups and alternate with sit-ups)

Shadow box.

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

You know what.... didn't really read this before, but now that I have...... did you mean to say "Black belt", not Orange? I mean... my God... that's a lot for an Orange belt. I can't wait to see your post for Black :P

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack