• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Home Study Courses

I've been seeing many of these course advertised in many M.A. publications. I've even seen it for sell on EBay...Does anyone on the forum know how such a venture began and how it is able to sustain itself? Back when I started training such a thing was unheard of.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of program, and what would the pros/cons be to actual training in a dojo?

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think anyone could learn a martial art from a video, but will it be good? That's the question. For a beginner, I would not recommend learning from a video or "home study" thingy. Because you will have so many questions that (without a qualified instructor) will go un-answered. And it could be dangerous if you learn something or do something wrong. You could hurt yourself.

For an experienced martial artist, they can get away with it because he/she already knows the basics. But then again, they will also have questions that the "video instructor" can't answer.

I recommend attending a dojo/dojang to learn a martial art. There you will find propper instruction under safer conditions. And there will be instructors and/or senior ranks to help you and answer questions.

Laurie F

Ya I agree, you need the assistance of a competent or qualified professional instructor so that you can get a sturdy foundation in the basics and general understanding. The time it takes to achieve this will depend on your primary purpose(s) for learning a martial art and also the specific art that you are studying. However, after you know the principles and understand what works the best for your body and what kind of training your body best responds to (becuz everyone is different), lotsa times I find that I always do my best and most focused (as well as the most rewarding) training when I am by myself. However due to my main purposes for practicing martial art (health, pleasure, escape, expression, etc. and not self-defense), this may work better for me than somebody who is training for self-defense (in which practice in a group setting or with a partner is absolutely crucial and necessary). :smile: :smile: I think that videos and books are an excellent supplement to a strong and sturdy foundation.

'Conviction is a luxury for those on the sidelines'

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'

• 2 years later...

it is a marketing ploy. A former sensei wrote an article talking about Video instruction VS. personal instruction. His finding showed no differnce between the 2. Sorry, Im not buying it. Go get a qualified instructor to teach you.

"The journey of a 1,000 miles starts with but a single step."

I've been seeing many of these course advertised in many M.A. publications. I've even seen it for sell on EBay...Does anyone on the forum know how such a venture began and how it is able to sustain itself? Back when I started training such a thing was unheard of.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of program, and what would the pros/cons be to actual training in a dojo?

As PT Barnum once said..."There's a sucker born every minute." Especially now days, where people want the easy way to do things.

Personally, they aren't worth the paper they're written on, nor the video tape their imprinted (or whatever it's called) on.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

As PT Barnum once said..."There's a sucker born every minute." Especially now days, where people want the easy way to do things.

Personally, they aren't worth the paper they're written on, nor the video tape their imprinted (or whatever it's called) on.

To my way of thinking it all depends on your expectation on what you'll get out of the vdeo traiing. If you go into as a complete begginer and expect to be baddest man on the block after watching a few videos, then your in for quite a dissappointment. However, if your a competent and experienced martial artist that approches it as a way to gain a different perspective or knowledge in a different art from what you normally practice, then I think these programs can prove to be beneficial.

I do however believe by it's very nature the best way to learn a martial art is through regular training with a competent instructor.

Tat being said, as with anything there are some programs out there with quality content and then there other programs that are just a waste of good video tape. (but this is true with real world brick & mortar dojos too.)

Ben Kendrick

"The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle..."

I believe home courses are an extension of the Mcdojo culture so for real results forget Videos and go and find a REAL martial arts school.

Well that is my advice.

KungFuMan

Only time and commitment will make your Traditional "style" good and give you real knowledge.

"Marry" your chosen system as opposed to just flirting with it.

Make it your partner for life and you will see how well and how complete it really is.

It is sad, but some people are still looking for the quick answers in life.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

To my way of thinking it all depends on your expectation on what you'll get out of the vdeo traiing. If you go into as a complete begginer and expect to be baddest man on the block after watching a few videos, then your in for quite a dissappointment. However, if your a competent and experienced martial artist that approches it as a way to gain a different perspective or knowledge in a different art from what you normally practice, then I think these programs can prove to be beneficial.

I do however believe by it's very nature the best way to learn a martial art is through regular training with a competent instructor.

Tat being said, as with anything there are some programs out there with quality content and then there other programs that are just a waste of good video tape. (but this is true with real world brick & mortar dojos too.)

Very true.

Personally, I think that video/DVD courses for beginners are a total waste of time and money.

However, for experienced martial artists who wish to supplement their training in the dojo with training at home, a video can be useful. I have couple of karate DVDs that I watch because they give me useful hints and tips and also contain videos of kata. The sweeps and throws section on one of the DVDs is particularly useful.

However, I certainly wouldn't recommend that a beginner learn karate from either of the DVDs, as they'd be more harm than good.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Agreed. My problem is with courses that tell you that you can "earn a black belt at home", or become a "deadly fighter" etc.

However, well produced video courses featuring real masters who know their stuff can be a useful tool for the experienced martial artists.

KungFuMan

Only time and commitment will make your Traditional "style" good and give you real knowledge.

"Marry" your chosen system as opposed to just flirting with it.

Make it your partner for life and you will see how well and how complete it really is.