• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you enter Karate competitions?

As a Chinese style student, do you enter Karate/TKD competitions??

My teacher has the interest in me entering a "continuous points" sparring competition. Since I've never sparred before, and not know the rules, I am not really comfortable playing their game.

Do you, as a chinese student, enter any such competitions? If so, how do you prepare for it?

I know a lot of these competition does not allow low kicks, which is what the Chinese style does, and its a limitation on how we fight. Rules are no fun. I think full-contact would be more to my taste.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never enterd an organized competitive tourniment,but I like to mix it up with other schools and styles from time to time.If you have other MA friends you can test your stuff on them.That's the way I like to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

"When the student is ready the master will appear"

I've never enterd an organized competitive tourniment,but I like to mix it up with other schools and styles from time to time.If you have other MA friends you can test your stuff on them.That's the way I like to do it.

Plus you don't feel as bad when you hurt a friend. I just can't get myself to hurt complete strangers with whom I got no beef :P .

I retired in 1999 at the age of 32.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

Thanks guys.

Yes, I do test my skill with my friends. But then again, I don't have a lot of friends that take MA.

I am still deciding whether I should enter or not. I want to test my skills, but if rules are against Kung Fu style, I can't test what I've learned. Lows kicks are important for my style.

• 1 month later...

Yes I have.

I don't do it to beat anyone. I just do it to test my own skill. To find out if I have improved personally. It is an opportunity to face opponents other than those I see every day.

PS: So far I'm 0-2...........but getting better :karate:

I retired from competing in 2000 when I was 23 competed for 15 years before that in open tournaments, closed circuit, semi contact and full contact, national and internationally, I'am now searching for a deeper meaning in the Martial arts as I get older.

When i think about tournaments I picture Mr.Miyagi saying if Karate is used to protect your self and your family then Karate mean something.If Karate is used to protect plastic metal throphy Karate mean nothing.. :karate:

http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

"When the student is ready the master will appear"