• advertisement_alt

Who would win?

Who wins?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• MA guy without fighting experience
    • Street fighter without MA experience
    • Impossible to determine

By street fighter i only mean somebody who fights a lot but never train. he knows what it is like to be in a fight but does not spend time perfecting any fighting techniques.

I started this poll to see what is everybody's take on the pure technique vs. pure kumite experience debate.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence thus, is not an act, but a habit. --- Aristotle

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your last choice ruined the Pull , shouldn't put it there, becuse it's a correct answer, 1 and 2 are not certaine and as you see most people picked up that one, if you take that one off,i'll go with street fighter.

I agree with P.A.L about the kumite experience. As kumite implies two man drills, either arranged or jiyu kumite, which is free sparring.

Kata are not alive. They are stagnate

Kumite, again imply knowing more than just kata, versus the nothing that was posted based upon kata only.

Which does skew the results if someone chose 1 or 2.

However, since I choose neither, so it didn't (doesn't) effect my choice.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

has anyone seen that clip with the kung fu fighting this spanish guy in the street (i lost the link) and just using the form he destroyed the guy it was funni but that goes to prove there are so many variables i agree that i would lean a tad bit more toward the seasoned street fighter

White belt for life

"Destroy the enemies power but leave his life"

The first time you fight, it is almost like being trapped in a bad trip, caused from drug use. Not that I would know, of course. It is like culture shock ten fold. Your mind is sent reeling, looking for something of recognition, just so it can have something to ground off of. Anyhow, the streetfighter would have a good advantage there. As to the ultimate outcome, I believe heart is one of the single most important factors in a fight. Who ever wants it the most. To what degree do you fight? Till you get a good jar to the head? Till your arm is boke? Or to the death? When do you quit, and where does your heart put you?

Justfulwardog

By daily dying I have come to be. ~Theodore Roethke

Each forward step we take we leave some phantom of ourselves behind. ~John Lancaster Spalding

Justful, what you're referring to is the euphoric effect of an adrenal surge. However, one can experience such in a dojo and through other experiences in their lives. I've actually experienced the adrenal surge far more times outside of the 'label' of street fights, with incidents where people were injured or in need of emergency medical care, in dealing with patients at an emergency mental health center, vehicle 'close-calls,' actual accidents, bungee jumping, skydiving, entering a new and life-threatening/impacting environment, etc.

My experience has presented to me that people who have 'absolutely no' training whatsoever do not fare well, no matter how many fights they get into. They simply guess and go with their reactions that are at a core misunderstanding of how to utilize their bodies for fullest effect. The problem with this question, and the inherent misnomer associated with the perception of street fighters, is that 'almost all' persons honor-branded that name do have a formal background in the arts... usually boxing or wrestling. Because of this, people hold to a false perception that street fighting teaches you something. It doesn't, at least not without some foundation to base your studies on. Instead, what it does is make your flaws more pronounced while making you more dependent on a few basic, and almost always telegraphing, actions.

Another factor that undermines this poll is that many people, i can't fathom why, consider boxing and wrestling to be 'outside' of the realm of martial arts. So my argument presented above means nothing to them. I.e., the poll, in many people's eyes, doesn't say, "street fighter with no ma experience," it says, "street fighter with no ma experience, but probably some boxing/wrestling experience."

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

I voted for impossible to determine. However I depends what you mean by "no fighting experiance". I had trained in wado ryu since I was 9 and untill I was 17 I had not been in a fight, however I had wrestled and sparred in class, and used punch bags, focus pads, and practised Kumite. When I was in a fight after 8 year of training I did pretty well, I didnt take any hitts, and took down three guys. The guys were pretty big and a few years older than I was.

But If you mean that the MA guy had never hit a hard target or sparred then I'd say the street fighter

"Turn to face the sun,

your shodows will fall behind you"

I voted for impossible to determine , but deep inside my mind I knew that a seasoned street fighter would mostly win against a MA without any street experience (Kata only type)

Id have to say the same... however like White Warlock said, the street guy could have faught easy fights

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn