• advertisement_alt

Who would win?

Who wins?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• MA guy without fighting experience
    • Street fighter without MA experience
    • Impossible to determine

somebody who has done kata/techniques for 10 years but has never been into a fight vs. somebody who has been in a great amount of fights in 10 years but has never had formal MA trainning.

All other parameters being equal (intrinsic skills, physical form...) for both, who would win?

How about if it was best of 7 fights?

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence thus, is not an act, but a habit. --- Aristotle

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well... i hate to say it but the street fighter if all the guy did was kata hes going to get droped.

Yep!!

No matter how fashionable it is in Krypton, I will not wear my underwear on the outside of my Gi!!

I voted, unknown or undetermined.

----------------------------------

What is a "street fighter"?

Before I started taking Martial Arts, by all rights, I too was a 'street fighter'.

Meaning, no formal skills.

However, that doesn't mean I would win against a poor Martial Artist, no matter how great I was.

And regardless of how many scuffs I had been in either.

Who knows what a person's past is.

On the flip side, just because I was a street fighter, doesn't mean I was good one either. Nor a poor one.

Once more, nobody knows anything for certain in these cases.

A street fighter can be just as sensitive to a situation as a MA is. A street fighter may do focus training on a bag somewhere.

Again, there are too many unknowns to pit one person against another based upon training versus no training, or style against style.

All we have is conjecture, theory, and 'how we feel', as there are not globally accepted facts or statistics showing anything contrary to what I said above. At least none that I have ever seen.

We can try to say, 'all things the same', or 'all things equal', but this is again, trying to fit a dynamic, expanding and or shrinking concept, such as a physical confrontation or conflict, into well defined box or picture perfect frame, and quite frankly that just doesn't work in the real world.

A fight is alive. It's mean. It's real. It's in your face. It's down and dirty, and there is not shame, no rules. Only survival. It is more than just words on a screen, or written down on paper, or spoken out loud. Training helps, but again, it will only get you so far in life, and only so far in a conflict situation.

In sum, with fighting, there are no guarantees, since we cannot quarantine, all the facts and variables within one simple equation that gives us one simple answer.

That's what I say for now.

Later!

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

Agreed, the outcome is impossible to determine because neither the values nor the variables have not been determined. I would also like to iterate that there is no such thing as a street fighter.

If the bum off the street had a great many fights in 10 years, yet all he fought were smaller, weaker, less capable opponents, does that make him skilled? If he lost every fight, despite having had a great many of them, does that make him skilled? If he has no muscle definition, zero coordination, and really bad eyesight, does that mean he'll be able to take out someone because he's had 'a great many fights in 10 years'?

We know nothing of this so-called street fighter, nor do we have any information on this so-called martial artist.

if all the guy did was kata hes going to get droped.

If all he does is hide in his room and do katas for 10 years... he's not a martial artist, he's a friggin' nutcase.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

yea there are to many variables in a fight to say there would be a definte outcome to the situation

White belt for life

"Destroy the enemies power but leave his life"

Martial arts and street fighting are both fighting systems. The better fighter would win. The martial artist has the advantage of being taught how to win by someone who is skilled. However, the street fighter may (or may not) have learned from the "school of hard knocks".

If the katas were taught properly,including purpose and application, he would have something to work with. I personally think it's not appropriate to teach MA for self-defense without actual fight training. I know some Tai Chi practitioners who do not spar or fight, but they don't seriously think they are getting fighting or self-defense training either.

My money's on the street fighter. He or she has much more of an undrestanding of what would work against an uncooperative opponent in a potential life or death situation. A MA guy with no fighting experience would, in my opinion, get wiped out in the first 30 seconds because there is no understanding of application.

I voted for impossible to determine , but deep inside my mind I knew that a seasoned street fighter would mostly win against a MA without any street experience (Kata only type)

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike