Kuk Sool Won

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe it is a kick, at least I've never been shown to perform it that way.

We have typically used cartwheels as evations and distance closure.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Everyone must try. However, you must always adapt to your own physical abilities.

A modified cartwheel is typically the chosen method, where you just don't extend your legs up.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

I met a top KSW competitor in a tournament in upstate New York many years ago and he even said that KSW is nicknamed Korean kung fu. There's definitely the Chinese influence there.

Clint

Free Spirit Martial Arts Activewear

http://www.FreeSpiritActivewear.com

Probably right. Incidently, the KSW people at this tournament went into the soft style forms division with me rather than in the Korean style forms with the tae kwon do competitors.

Clint

Free Spirit Martial Arts Activewear

http://www.FreeSpiritActivewear.com

Also known as the 108 Movement Form, where the 108 torments of life are theoretically purged through practice and perfection of the form.

Please don't ask me to quote the 108 torments. :lol:

I'd say that housework is one of the 108.... :D :lol:

So, you have to do this particular form in order to be able to progress to 2nd degree? I think if I was in KSW I'd be perpetually stuck at 1st degree - I couldn't do a cartwheel (from horseriding or any stance!) to save my life!! :o :D :D :lol:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

:lol: :lol:

"I can do more than I think I can!" Is one of our mottos.

Sure you could. You lean over, touch your hands to the ground at as much of an angle is needed, then barely lift your feet off the floor. (You body remains in a horseshoe shape).

Or, you find another adaptation that will allow you to reach the same spot in the same fasion (would need to be worked out with your school master).

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

I can't comment on "why" it's in there, other than perhaps it adds an element of a defensive, evasive move, but I can tell you that it isn't your ordinary cartwheel.

My understanding was that it was done to pick up a weapon (generally one with a decently sized non-sharp portion, such as a staff or spear). Of course, it is also done to give strength and yada yada, but the picking up of the weapon was the "application" as far as I knew.

Fetch Daddy's blue fright wig! I must be handsome when I unleash my rage.