• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kuk Sool Won

I went to a martial arts competition yesterday (came back with some 'bling' too!) and there were some KSW practitioners there. Very nice guys - very friendly! I was on my own, as the other person going with me had to drop out at the last minute (and my instructor is away), but the KSWers came and talked to me so that I wouldn't have to sit on my own - thanks guys, if you're reading this! 8)

Anyway, in the forms/patterns/kata categories, the KSWers entered the Korean style categories. Most of the other Korean patterns I recognised, but I was interested to see the KSW guys perform as I've never seen it in action but always heard a lot about it.

However, the KSW forms looked very different to the rest of the forms in the Korean category. To me, the KSW forms seemed more 'Chinese-y' - more flowing, not as hard or linear as other Korean (TKD-esque) patterns.

I enjoyed watching the KSWers perform - they all did well and most of the students ended up with trophies.

Here's my question: Does KSW have any Chinese influences? Is this deliberate (if it does)?

Thanks!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi aefibird,

While I wasn't one of the people you are talking about, I'm very glad to hear that you met some nice KSW'ers. I think that they were polite and nice reflects better on them (and KSW) than any skill level they may or may not have had.

Kuk Sool tries to be "Hard-Soft". I'm sure lots has been posted about it or on other internet sites so I won't go into detail about what KSW "is", but you are right, it is not "not as hard or linear as other Korean (TKD-esque) patterns." and purposely so.

To answer your question, I have never heard it "officially" said that KSW has Chinese influences. It is officially said to be derived from three Korean sources: Buddhist, Family, and Royal Court martial arts.

That being said, after practicing it and a Chinese martial art for some years now, I would say yes, it does have Chinese influences. I've even had a master in KSW talk to me about how some of our form movements come from Chinese martial arts. Is it deliberate? *shrug* If it is they aren't saying, at least not to me.

Oh yeah, and congratulations on your non-auditory onomatopoeia :)

Fetch Daddy's blue fright wig! I must be handsome when I unleash my rage.

• 5 weeks later...

I too am glad our brothers (and sisters) conducted themselves in a manner that is consistant with what we practice in our dojangs.

Deliberate? I'm not sure what you mean by deliberate.

As Taiji said, the official lineage is from those three influences. However, buddhist munks DID travel, and spread their influence. So, if I had to speculate, that would be where the influence came from. So it would be more of an indirect influence.

I have had people ask me if I was practicing a Chinese art, when I wasn't wearing my dobak top while going through hyung.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, the KSW guys that I met were certainly great representatives of their art. They were some of the nicest and politest martial artists that I have had the pleasure to meet and a credit to their instructor and to KSW.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• 4 weeks later...

Well Kuk Sool Won do have some influences from chinese and it kinda very easy to see the chinese influences when you take a good look at the forms.

"Martial Arts is kinda like yin and yang when you think about it; it 50% physical and 50% mental"

Well Kuk Sool Won do have some influences from chinese and it kinda very easy to see the chinese influences when you take a good look at the forms.

speaking of forms, i saw a clip of your styles forms the other day. I have to say , I saw the influnces, but i also saw some things that were just not normal for me. At one point in the form, the guy did a cart wheel. that was a first for me.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

That would probably be Baek Pal Ki Hyung. We learn that at 1st degree.

Also known as the 108 Movement Form, where the 108 torments of life are theoretically purged through practice and perfection of the form.

Please don't ask me to quote the 108 torments. :lol:

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

lol, I won't ask u that one, but I will ask why there is a cartwheel in a form?

I can't comment on "why" it's in there, other than perhaps it adds an element of a defensive, evasive move, but I can tell you that it isn't your ordinary cartwheel.

With your typical cartwheel, you usually start into it with one foot in front of the other - going in a sideways direction. The cartwheel in the form, when done correctly and properly, is started from a horse riding stance, and the cartwheel goes in the direction you are facing while in the horse riding stance.

If you think that's easy, just try it. :)

To accomplish it you need strength, body control, and flexibility. Not to mention that it is towards the end of the (long!) form when you are getting tired. Thus it is definitely one of the BIG torments, but just one of 108!

JKN Dean