• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

speed or stregnth?

speed or stregnth?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. speed or stregnth?

• speed
    • strength

There have been quite a few very good opinions expressed all of which had valid arguments but -ever loving the position of underdog--I am going to choose one over the other. For my money, speed (acceleration) is the greater of the two.

By way of analogy, if you hit a nail with a hammer by simply dropping it, chances are there will be enough mass and velocity generated by gravity itself to cause the nail to pierce whatever the nail is pointed at however, if you kept the mass of the hammer the same yet increased its acceleration upon hitting the head of the nail, it is more likely to pierce deeper.

Ofcourse, you have to consider the objects mass in either case but again, my opinion that an increase in acceleration is an increase not only in the force generated but the piercing power of that force.

It is essentially the very minute difference between shooting square bullets from a pistol and oval shaped bullets, they both can maim or even kill, but one is better suited to the environment than the other and will be more effective.

When fear is removed, the arrogance of uncertainty is dispelled and it is therefore no longer necessary to prove yourself in any form of combat. By learning how to fight, you learn how not to fight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm all very good points here i agreee with. For the poll id go with speed, but for my own opinion id say technique. With technique, speed and power should develop.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

• 2 weeks later...

I would say that they both have there own advantages. With speed, well your fast, and with strength your strong and a tank. But its knowing how to use speed against strength and strength against speed thats the problem. If your speed you need to tire out the strong. And if your strong you have to have good timing. But you shouldnt stick to just speed or strength anyway, you should be both at the same time. Then your a tank and has strong punches, and you have the speed to dodge and get around your advisary easily.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

I agree with Menjo techinique is suppose to bring about both results but for the sake of the poll (closes eyes and randomly points) speed

White belt for life

"Destroy the enemies power but leave his life"

my own sensei stressed speed and technique using the very same formula of F=MA. however, i also recall him stressing timing as well. i believe he said with proper timing and a good follow up technique, u should be able to stop the little speedster, esp as soon as you're able to tell when your opponent is commited to his technique. perhaps i've garbled his message as it has been a long time, please forgive me, but i believe that is what he said...

• 2 weeks later...

Man, it never amazes me the complete lack of understanding people have with the equations like F=ma when it comes to punches.

Anyway, while both are important, Id lean towards wanting more strength than speed. If it weren't more important, weight classes wouldn't exist and a smaller guy entering a bigger weight class wouldn't be such a big deal.

Man, it never amazes me the complete lack of understanding people have with the equations like F=ma when it comes to punches.

Anyway, while both are important, Id lean towards wanting more strength than speed. If it weren't more important, weight classes wouldn't exist and a smaller guy entering a bigger weight class wouldn't be such a big deal.

Thats why i left Muay Thai, i dont beleive in the way of weight classes and that stuff. I even won agaisnt fighters "above" my class to prove it isnt the end all of sport fighting. Now obviously fighters will have the advantage, but there are exceptions. Im just trying to say that, (off topic) i find thats one of the huge differences in MMA and TMA.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

Hm, interesting. Buuuut- what do you think about the opinion that sport fighting produces the best fighting techniques, as they are proven and forced to evolve? (Obviously I am of this opinion- are you?) And why not train MT with people of other weight classes anyway, sounds like great way to get better to me.