• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Comp fighting. Sport or Martial Art??

Russell

I have always thort of comp fighting as a "sport", like boxing. Not a martial art.

A sport art is still a martial art. Can the Boxer KO you with his punches? Can the thai boxer KO you with his elbows_and_knees? Can the bjj guy snap your limb in half? Can the Judoka Throw you on your head? If so, then what we are doing is every bit as martial as what you are doing. Why wouldn't it be?

Now, in terms of point fighting you see associated with traditional styles, I would say that it is still martial art, albeit very watered down. Even the XMA guys learn the traditional kata, AFAIK, but they compete with their flashy stuff.

I feel that My karate would be no good in a comp fight cos my reactions tell me to go for the vital points, witch would be hard with gloves on! and on the other side I feel that a comp fighter would be no good in a real fight as they would not have the correct defence, due to there vitals usually being covered up.

Then step it up a notch - jump into a cage. Most of your techniques will be allowed in an mma match... having the 'vital areas' covered is not what would make them less effective. It is their training. If you are training for a point competition, you will fight like you trained for a point competition.

I agree. Well put :)

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt