• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Comp fighting. Sport or Martial Art??

Russell

Hi, guys.

Not trying to cause any friction here just intersted in others points of view.

I have always thort of comp fighting as a "sport", like boxing. Not a martial art. I feel that My karate would be no good in a comp fight cos my reactions tell me to go for the vital points, witch would be hard with gloves on! and on the other side I feel that a comp fighter would be no good in a real fight as they would not have the correct defence, due to there vitals usually being covered up.

How do you guys feel about this. I'm not tring to p1ss ppl off, just want to know if there are any benefits to comp fighting. And if comp fighters feels what he/she does as a martial art or a sport.

"Turn to face the sun,

your shodows will fall behind you"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Comp fighting is a sport pretty much

comp fighting is good for building your reflexis and stamina but as for not being effective in a real fight thats were you have to have a ballence between street and compotition fighting. :karate:

Pogo

Thx for the explanation .

I think competition is the sports aspect of karate , but it varies from one karate style to another , in some styles -mostly kyokushin and it's offshoots - competition is full contact because they cnsider it more realistic , in other styles it's light to semi contact for safty purposes , either ways none of them reflects exactly real fights .

By the way , there is a kyokushin offshoot called daidu juku , it's rules are more like street fighting , pure brutality .

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

Comps basically are sport. But if you know the difference between "sport" fighting and "street " fighting, then you will be ok. But I think comps are good for, like Pogo mentioned, reflexes and stamina. It also helps some people get used to performing under pressure. I do comps for that reason, not for the "sport" part.

Laurie F

• 1 month later...

Theres a big difference between 'Sport Karate' and 'Traditional Karate' to win in 'Sport Karate' like you see in the NASKA circuits, you have to throw the traditional stuff out the window.lol! Traditional Karate the way it was meant to be is way too dangerous for any competition, its only for self defense! you cant trap,break and throw, and hit vital points e.t.c. in sport competiton.

Theres a big difference between 'Sport Karate' and 'Traditional Karate' to win in 'Sport Karate' like you see in the NASKA circuits, you have to throw the traditional stuff out the window.lol! Traditional Karate the way it was meant to be is way too dangerous for any competition, its only for self defense! you cant trap,break and throw, and hit vital points e.t.c. in sport competiton.

I echo that...it's always been in my training to have any fight over either before it starts, or within seconds of the first technique thrown...not dragged out over a couple minutes.

Think before you act, but act before it's too late.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3535/siggydemo58lq.jpg

(Images aren't allowed, but if you want, take a peek for yourself ^ )

I really think you need a balance of the 2. The problem with just training in vital point strikes etc is that its hard to do any realistic resistance in your training.

If you dont have any experience in full contact competition then you wont be prepared for the phsychological efects of adrenalin and fear that you will experience in a real life threatening encounter. Even full contact sparring in the dojo dosen't compare. It can just freeze you up and create panic in your mind making your techniques useless.

Neither will you have the experience of testing your skills against a fully resisting opponent who is intent on not just defending against your attacks but on knocking you completely senseless.

Also the effect of adrenalin/alcohol/drugs can have the effect of making your opponent oblivious to pain. Strikes and locks which drop the average guy in the dojo may not have the same effect on the street.

I feel alot safer with the skills I've developed through full contact competition than the so called deadly techniques I've practised under controlled training methods.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

I have always thort of comp fighting as a "sport", like boxing. Not a martial art.

A sport art is still a martial art. Can the Boxer KO you with his punches? Can the thai boxer KO you with his elbows_and_knees? Can the bjj guy snap your limb in half? Can the Judoka Throw you on your head? If so, then what we are doing is every bit as martial as what you are doing. Why wouldn't it be?

Now, in terms of point fighting you see associated with traditional styles, I would say that it is still martial art, albeit very watered down. Even the XMA guys learn the traditional kata, AFAIK, but they compete with their flashy stuff.

I feel that My karate would be no good in a comp fight cos my reactions tell me to go for the vital points, witch would be hard with gloves on! and on the other side I feel that a comp fighter would be no good in a real fight as they would not have the correct defence, due to there vitals usually being covered up.

Then step it up a notch - jump into a cage. Most of your techniques will be allowed in an mma match... having the 'vital areas' covered is not what would make them less effective. It is their training. If you are training for a point competition, you will fight like you trained for a point competition.