• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shito-Ryu

orion82698

Is this the root style, or did this branch off from anything? I'm trying to do some research on it, but I wanted to know if it's a branch of another art, or if this is the root. I know that Fumio Demura is Shihan in this style, but that's really all it tells me about it.

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Is this the root style, or did this branch off from anything? I'm trying to do some research on it, but I wanted to know if it's a branch of another art, or if this is the root. I know that Fumio Demura is Shihan in this style, but that's really all it tells me about it.

Shito Ryu is one of the four major styles of Japan and was founded by Kenwa Mabuni. He studied under Anko Itosu and Kanryo Higashionna.

They have a long list of kata which include versions of kata included in Shotokan and Goju. It's not an offshoot of anything. I don't know much about their Naha kata but the Shuri kata are (IMO) more complete versions of the same kata performed by Shotokan (Itosu lineage)

Tommy

I trained Itosu-Kai Shito Ryu under David Jones (Yondan under Demura Shihan) for about a year and a half in college and I found it VERY similar to Shotokan. They use Pinan Katas instead of Heian, and it's a little bit more of an old school style of Karate. By that I mean they use Neko-ashi Dachi's in place of most Kokutsu Dachi's in Kata and they use an "Okinawan" backstance, whereas Shotokan uses the "Japanese" backstance. Other then that, minus a few minor technique differences it went hand in hand with Shotokan.

"Karate ni sente nashi." - Funakoshi

https://www.KoketsuDojo.com

Heres a few articles on the history of Shito Ryu Karate that should help you trace our lineage Orion.

http://www.itosu-kai.com/history1.html

http://www.shitokai.com/shitoryu.php

Thank you for the links! :karate:

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

Shito-Ryu is one of the Okinawan style cousins. You take a small group of young Okinawan men and train them with a few different peers. These peers went out of Okinawan as a means of survival during WWII. Yes, Shito-Ryu is of both Naha-Te and Shuri-Te. The previous post gave a good overview of the instructors and their relationship to each other.

"Persistence outweighs natural ability."

"If we were interested in using brute force alone it would not be karate."

• 5 months later...

I found some very interesting links here. Thank you :)

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

they use an "Okinawan" backstance, whereas Shotokan uses the "Japanese" backstance.

By that do you mean it's a higher stance?

Do you have any pics if that's not it?