• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Standardisation in TKD

Should all the TKD associations be standardised (like ATA)?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should all the TKD associations be standardised (like ATA)?

• Yes, it would be the best thing to happen to TKD
    • Hmm, I'm not sure, it could cause problems
    • No, no way, they should leave the teaching side up to the instructors
    • I prefer it as it is now
    • Don't know
    • Don't care
    • Other

According to "TKD times" the (now former) leader in S. Korea is in prison facing racketeering charges and ties to organised crime. Coupled with the on-going olympic scandle (nothing to due with TKD, but a S. Korean official) and I think WTF TKD has an up hill battle to stay in the olympics.

As for the ITF - there are 3 Orgs who officially use the ITF name and logo, so you never know who you're dealing with - N. Korea, Canada, or Europe. At least with groups like the USTF and the group I'm a member of HTF, we don't claim to be a part of the ITF, but fallow the TKD teachings of the late General.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I voted yes, but with a caveat.

I think the curriculum should be standardized WITHIN an organization. So, if I'm in a WTF school in Colorado, and I move to Arkansas, I know that I will be learning the same things if I go to a WTF school. I don't necessarily agree that all styles should learn the exact same thing as every other, otherwise why have ITI, ITF, WTF, TAGB, ATA, etc etc.?

Aodhan

Agreed. Standardization within the style is highly desireable.

I've visited non-ATA schools and watch them do forms. What is called Chon-ji or To-san in one school bore little resemblence to what was being taught in another.

I think the curriculum should be standardized WITHIN an organization. So, if I'm in a WTF school in Colorado, and I move to Arkansas, I know that I will be learning the same things if I go to a WTF school. I don't necessarily agree that all styles should learn the exact same thing as every other, otherwise why have ITI, ITF, WTF, TAGB, ATA, etc etc.?

Aodhan

Agreed. Standardization within the style is highly desireable.

I've visited non-ATA schools and watch them do forms. What is called Chon-ji or To-san in one school bore little resemblence to what was being taught in another.

The forms you mentioned Chon-Ji, Do-San are ITF forms. You have a number of orgs using thoes as their basic curriculem. Some use it with the Sine-Wave (ITF, USTF) others don't (Taekwondo America, HTF) So, to standardize thoes forms we would all need to learn the SW or drop the SW. I, for one, would love to learn it. But I'm afraid most would not.....and the ITF "pureist" would not want to drop it......stalemate.

Aodhan

:blush: :blush: That was what I actually meant within my poll.... standardisation WITHIN an organisation, rather than standardisation across the board (of TKD). The latter is never actually gonna happen IMO.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!