• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Standardisation in TKD

Should all the TKD associations be standardised (like ATA)?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should all the TKD associations be standardised (like ATA)?

• Yes, it would be the best thing to happen to TKD
    • Hmm, I'm not sure, it could cause problems
    • No, no way, they should leave the teaching side up to the instructors
    • I prefer it as it is now
    • Don't know
    • Don't care
    • Other

What do you think about standardisation in TKD?

Should all organisations follow the way of ATA and set a standard curriculum within their schools?

Or should the TKD orgs focus solely on the business side of TKD (competition standards and the like) and leave teaching and school curriculum up to instructors?

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wouldn't that be like asking if all restaurants should standardize their menus so that they are all serving the same thing? I like many of the ways that our organizition does things, and I dislike the way some other organizations do things. That's why I'm in my organization. I'm sure there are others who like their organization including the things I don't like. I'm fine with being different.

I think we should appreciate the differences between the styles, rather than standardize. We MA-ists (especially us TKD folks) tend to think that our way (or our set of forms) is "the way". But there's a lot of richness & cool parts to all of the sets of forms. It'd be better if we all learned (or at least learned to appreciate) each other's forms. Some of the old Korean masters know the Tae Guek, Pal Gue & Chang Hong (ITF) forms. With this broad knowledge they can add so much richness & depth to a great art form.

So, in a word, no. Standardization isn't a good idea. Dare I say (I hate this word) inclusiveness is better. :karate:

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

IcemanSK, good post. That's generally how I feel. I don't think the TKD orgs should be standardized, but I wish they would share knowledge more (forms, ect). I would like to learn the Pal Gue forms, but my instructor won't teach us. Which is a shame, because he did, at one time, teach them.

Laurie F

I think we should appreciate the differences between the styles, rather than standardize. We MA-ists (especially us TKD folks) tend to think that our way (or our set of forms) is "the way". But there's a lot of richness & cool parts to all of the sets of forms. It'd be better if we all learned (or at least learned to appreciate) each other's forms. Some of the old Korean masters know the Tae Guek, Pal Gue & Chang Hong (ITF) forms. With this broad knowledge they can add so much richness & depth to a great art form.

So, in a word, no. Standardization isn't a good idea. Dare I say (I hate this word) inclusiveness is better. :karate:

I voted yes, but with a caveat.

I think the curriculum should be standardized WITHIN an organization. So, if I'm in a WTF school in Colorado, and I move to Arkansas, I know that I will be learning the same things if I go to a WTF school. I don't necessarily agree that all styles should learn the exact same thing as every other, otherwise why have ITI, ITF, WTF, TAGB, ATA, etc etc.?

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Not sure I'd like it. I know our school teaches a lot of things other WTF schools dont teach and a few things that are quite rare in other TKD schools in general. For example, we teach a set of forms called Chong Bong which were created by one of our masters in the mid seventies. These forms are special to us as they help remind us of our own heritage as it were. If we were to standardize TKD I'm sure these local forms (they are particular to Song Moo Kwan in MN) would be dropped. No matter that they are almost as old as the Taegueks, no matter that they are special and unique, they'd just be dropped. :(

We also do alot of Kali. Would I have to drop that in order that TKD become standardized? No sir/madame, I dont like the idea at all.

Inclusiveness, as another poster stated, would be welcome however. :)

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

Good luck, I like the idea, but to many obsticals are in the way.

#1 there are to many factions of the ITF

#2 the WTF has many legal issues

#3 the ATA is a closed org, not a bad thing, it just is.

If these major orgs can't do for themselves how can they deal with each other?

I agree, niel0092. We also have forms that are unique to us. We have forms that were created by our master instructor years ago (the bo forms are cool :) ). Even our beginner form is unique. So they would be dropped if TKD was standardized. And I really like the bo forms, so I wouldn't want them to go away.

Laurie F

Good luck, I like the idea, but to many obsticals are in the way.

#1 there are to many factions of the ITF

#2 the WTF has many legal issues

#3 the ATA is a closed org, not a bad thing, it just is.

If these major orgs can't do for themselves how can they deal with each other?

Wow, I have noticed the factions in the ITF! In the last week, I've spoken or written to a lot of folks in the ITF & it seems like there's each BB has there own organization.

I hadn't heard about the WTF's legal issues. Tell me more.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton