• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does your Muay Thai gym retain traditions?

My Muay Thai gym is like the many that have lost its way from the culture,respect, and traditions that come from Muay Thai. Most of the people just want to gain strength and defend themselves while practicing Muay Thai and are not really known to the customs of Muay Thai itself. My teacher on the other hand has trained in Thai land and has learned many of the traditions taught there.

I am currently ring-ready, but still I have not challeged myself just YET. I asked my teacher to teach me the Wai-Khru, which I hope to keep to myself for a long time. Does your gym retain its traditions?

Aikido have names for techniques like "heaven and earth."which represents the creation of the universe along with a philosophical meaning.

Muay Thai have names for techniques like "closing the lamp", which means "punch him in the eye."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think cultural aspects are cute, but unrelated to the study of the arts themselves. If the arts are mired in philosophical/religious connotations, it is something to examine... but in all things, if it doesn't jive with your philosophies/beliefs, then you need to take from the system only that which is the 'art' itself.

We live in a different culture, and it is 'our' culture that we base our existence and understandings on. Although it may be 'fun' to learn fortune cookie culture, you are not actually obtaining insight into yourself. Instead you are merely obtaining 'more' confusion, because the obtainment of information is piecemeal and thus incomplete. And although it is very important to consider other perceptions, other cultures, it should be done with legitimate intent from a formal anthropological standpoint, and not merely to 'spice up' your training or to make you look more legitimate.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

i will disagree, all martial arts can be learned without there cultural significance but the cultuaral stuff just makes them deeper and more fasinating...as long as the cultural stuff doent get in the way of learning the art its self then i think it is better to have it in.

Fist visible Strike invisible

muay thai is NOT a traditional style. It is a modern sportive style created in the 1920's. The tradition you do see in muay thai came not from muay thai, but from previous muay arts.

That said, there are schools outside of thailand today who teach these things. The school I currently teach/train at does not, however, my previous school taught me the wai kru, ram muay and various other things. About the only tradition we use at my current school is to wai before and after class, and to our partner before and after drills.

IMO, a lot of westerners have this fascination with the culture of the east and how it relates to the arts. It's not at all necessary to the learning process and in some instances, can hinder it...

I believe that those small things are very important to the foundation of Muay Thai. It may look cute yes, but it is true to the roots. Just as long as you don't go over board. Doing the the Wai Khru and bowing as a sign of respect are those little things that you miss due to western ways.

It could be possible that the reason why much of the culture of in Muay Thai are lost because of the fact that people practice Muay Thai the same way as Western boxing. In the western rings, they touch gloves in others they bow.

Aikido have names for techniques like "heaven and earth."which represents the creation of the universe along with a philosophical meaning.

Muay Thai have names for techniques like "closing the lamp", which means "punch him in the eye."

I believe that those small things are very important to the foundation of Muay Thai. It may look cute yes, but it is true to the roots. Just as long as you don't go over board. Doing the the Wai Khru and bowing as a sign of respect are those little things that you miss due to western ways.

actually, western ways pose a case for NOT doing it at all. In the west, people are mainly christians and catholics. The wai kru is to pay respect to your teacher and to buddha. Naturally, if you are christian, you will not want to take part in that. Same thing with the other traditions - having the mongkon blessed by a monk, wearing the armband with an amulaet in it... These are all things based around a buddhist religion and are taboo to other religions.

It could be possible that the reason why much of the culture of in Muay Thai are lost because of the fact that people practice Muay Thai the same way as Western boxing. In the western rings, they touch gloves in others they bow.

I would wager that it's more along the lines of necessity. While it is good to know the traditions, they are by no means necessary to fight.

all depends on who you want to become in view of a martial artist,some people( mostly beginners) just ditch traditions because they think its useless in fighting. Which i can understand, but taking away that maybe taking away the art in martial art......

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn