• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update!

Went for my 3rd lesson last night and it was much more enjoyable. Some of the co-ordination started-to-fall-into-place quite nicely. I was quite aprehensive entering the dojo again but started to feel calmer after 10 minutes or so.

Yeah, a result I would say.

Spoke to a fellow beginner who told me he was just the same for the first four lessons or so, was going to give up (like me) but decided to stick it out.

Probably wouldn't have gone back if it wasn't for the replies on this very forum:)

Thanks all.

Hey, Disarm. If you were any more uncoordinated than I was during my first couple of months of classes, then I hope you are taping them as you could make money selling them on EBay. It gets better. Your physical conditioning will improve. Your concentration will improve. Your confidence will grow as you become familiar with the moves. I started Karate in my early thirties so I can sympathize with the "not getting any younger" thing. Pretty soon, you will be practising moves everywhere and loving it.

Good luck !

Every timely action will bring results ... Without difficulty. Every untimely endeavor will fail ... If the moment is premature or if the right moment is missed. - The Tree Poem

Don't give it up. Take it slow, it isn't a race. Get the techniques down piece by piece, then put them together. It isn't a race to the blackbelt it's a race against yourself to learn something new and be able to apply it.

Right now my Sensei's 12 year old son is holding class. Honestly I feel like I'd be a better teacher, he's paying little to no attention to the mistakes and such taking place. I think I will have a talk to my sensei about this, either I or one of hos odler sons should come in. I'm a yellowbelt and I do my technique more correctly than our current instructor. In ym own personal studies I'm allready doing his kataa. He's an advanced rank 2 away from black, yet I beat him in point sparring, and in other competitions we hold.. anyways! He'll be counting to 30 as fast as he can and be woundering why I'm doing ym techniques still being the second best there.

It's becuase I'm acctually doing the techniques right, not just yelling numbers throwing half working techniques.

I struggled with this too; however, now It's second nature for me to throw a spin kick and follow through with that nice backfist to the head.

Just stay focused, and forget about everyone else. Speed does not equal correct. Remember that.

Needing to focus...

• 4 weeks later...

Granted that people with natural abilities can progress faster in martial arts but everyone can benefit with training. It's a new skill so don't be so hard on yourself. Don't feel pressured. If you do, then you might be in the wrong school. A good instructor lets you progress at your own speed. Don't compare to other students, especially the more advanced ones. Do it for yourself and take little steps. Have fun.

Clint

Free Spirit Martial Arts Activewear

http://www.FreeSpiritActivewear.com

Hi. Thanks for all the replys, they have been very encouraging. I've now had...9 lessons, and recently purchased more appropiate clothing so I fit in with the class more. Guess I'm here to stay :)