• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate for the non- co-ordinated!

disarm

Hello all.

Would you agree with the following statement:

To practice Karate you need to be naturally co-ordinated.

I've just started Shotokan karate. The first lesson was great. Allthough I struggled towards the end (blocks) with co-ordinating both hands & feet at the same time. I have little co-ordination! I can drive, use a PC, but that is as far as it goes. I don't dance! etc etc

But anyway, after the lesson I felt good. A real confidence and energy boost.

Anyway, just came back from lesson #2. First half hour went ok, then the lesson turned into a bit of a nightmare when it started to get more complicated with steps + punches + blocks (both hands at the same time, eek!). Then it got worse, in my mind I started to give up. The sensai wouldn't let me (git! but then I didn't expect him to). Finally the lesson ended.

Confidence well and truely rocked, I left the dojo probably 90% certain that it probably wasn't for me and that I wouldn't be coming back. I didn't even bow..

After a while I started feeling a bit better and now there is a part of me that wants to go back, persevere, improve. I must be crazy!

Maybe it's a bit like learning to drive - when you have a really bad lesson, bad test, etc. It can rock you and make you feel like throwing it all away, etc.

I love the physical side to it, it's a fantastic workout. The discipline doesn't bother me. It's inexpensive at £4 a lesson, with no silly contracts to sign or montly direct debits. It's a small class (newly started beginners class) of only about 8 people.

It's not the first time I've tried martial arts. About 6 years ago I did a few lessons in TaeKwonDoe, which I mostly enjoyed but remember struggling with the co-ordination back then. I left for different reasons though - high cost and a contract to sign.

So now I don't know what to do. I have until tuesday to make up my mind if I wish to return.

Has anyone else been in this position? Is it worth continuing when the rest of the group seems to have more coordination and doesn't struggle like I do? (allthough I did cope better physically than one or two in the group).

Should I persevere and it will eventually fall into place?

I don't really want to give up so easily, but if it's going to be a steep learning curve which will lead to more knockbacks, etc, etc..

So please be honest, I'd rather not have people offer encouragement just to make me feel better, of course if you think I'm just being silly then say so!

If you agree with the opening statement then also say so!

By the way, I'm 29 and not getting any younger! Not that I think that matters much.

Cheers!

:)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it worth continuing when the rest of the group seems to have more coordination and doesn't struggle like I do?)

If it wasn't, I definitely wouldn't be here. :) Give it time! You're not going to be able to walk in and control everything perfectly the first time, the next time, the time after that - for quite a while - but with continued practice, it does get better. If you enjoy it, I would recommend continuing - the coordination will come sooner or later, just be patient. :)

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."

- T. S. Eliot

Above statements are correct. You are your own worse enemy here, in that you expect to be accomplished in something you need to learn. The martial arts isn't merely about kicking, punching, grappling and screaming in pain, it's about developing coordination, stamina, patience and insight into human behavior. All four, my friend, will require an understanding on your part that you start as a beginner.

Many people have backgrounds that include activities where they had opportunity to develop their coordination, so the 'new' people you see practicing and presenting decent coordination... they 'learned' it somewhere else. Don't let it phase you. The knowledge and skills you do have will eventually find a place in your martial art studies, and you'll be watching them struggle, instead of the other way around.

But, even if that day never comes (which i truly doubt), remember that the arts are for you. For your growth and your benefit, so don't be bothered with how well your fellow student does... just with how well you are doing now, compared to yesterday. In time, you will be able to look back and remember what you couldn't do that you now do without thought.

And no, these aren't words of encouragement... but of personal experience. ;)

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

You will develop coordination...

When I started (and many others) I was tripping over my own feet and having trouble blocking and punching or kicking at the same time. Stick with it, you'll be surprised how soon will come the day when it first all "clicks"

There is the theory of multiple intelligences: besides the mental and social, there is the "body kinesthetic" Just like mental and social intelligences, you can learn "body kinestheticly. At this point, as I was, you may be body kinesthetic ignorant. Some people are considered naturally talented are body kinesthetic gifted.

You will learn, my friend, you will learn, with patience, determination, and discipline

i've come to the conclusion there's little actual talent in things. It's just practice, practice, practice. A child may practice things and the parents may subject things to a child, but neither of them may be aware of the redundancy of the actions, and thus not aware the child is become adept at something because of this repetition. Such is the case with my writing, or my drawing, or my climbing, or any of the other things i do. I wasn't born talented, i simply practiced by doing... over and over and over again.

As well, there is the argument about 'smart people,' as opposed to 'dumb.' Now, we do know there are some physiological factors that can intervene in this argument, just as there are some physical factors that can intervene in someone being able to perform rudimentary actions... but i'm not talking about that, i'm talking about the norm. In this norm, there is a tendency for people to shunt themselves. Whether it be due to wanting to 'fit in,' having parents constantly telling you you're as dumb as a rock, having a series of events that made you feel... less intelligent, becoming unwilling to spend the time to 'grasp' or understand things, having a different means of learning that is not encouraged by the educational institution you were subjected to, etc. I strongly feel that, generally speaking, people close their own minds to growth, and not that they merely had not the ability.

I.e., just as being ignorant is a choice, so is being dumb a choice.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

I am glad that I was fortunate enough to receive 2 private lessons from a 6th Degree (now 7th) Black Belt before I began Kenpo. Thankfully, he told me that, starting in my teenage years as I was, I would have problems like these. And I did. I couldn't even do a shifting punch properly until some way into Yellow Belt. Now at Blue Belt, I have received a number of comments from instructors about how much my coordination has improved and I can now perform complex footwork with little effort.

Advice: Stick with it, coordination will develop.

I read a very interesting article in a journal awhile back, regarding the brain and how it 'grows.' Contrary to popular belief, the brain is not limited in how much information, knowledge, learning it is capable of holding. When new information or concepts are presented, new synapses are created (electrical connections between brain cells) and made more pronounced by repeating said actions or reaffirming information presented. So, what you don't know, you can learn.

Interesting story there DKizzle

Intro