• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Self Study?

beley

I have a slight predicament. About 15 years ago I started training in a dojo with a wonderful sensei who trained in a blend of karate and other japanese styles. He was very spiritual and taught just as much about the spritual aspects of martial arts as the self defense. I was 10 at the time.

We soon moved to Georgia, and in my are the only place to learn was an ATA Tae-Kwon-Do school. I quickly rose through the ranks over about 2 years and by the time I was 13 I was competing and having a blast. I had an injury and had to quit for a while, and soon after the school closed.

The only other place in my town is a combat karate school that teaches absolutely no self discipline or control. The students just see it as an opportunity to learn how to kick... err... you know.

The closest school of any quality is at least 40 minutes away. I'm already going back to college to finish my business degree next quarter, and will be driving 40 miles to school (one way). I can't also drive that far in my off days to study martial arts.

I have a family - 2 small kids - and just can't be gone *all* the time. So I'm presented with a dilemma.

Does anyone do self-study? Books, videos, short courses? Can you learn and progress on a self-study tract?

Brandon

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Brandon:

That is certainly a tough one.

Will you be going to school full-time? Does the college offer any type of MA clubs that you could look into?

I can relate to the kids. I have two small children, work full-time and teach MA a few nights a week. By the time I'm done, I have little time for my own training.

As for self-training, books, videos, etc. If you are using them to refresh knowledge you already have, they can be a great tool. But if your are attempting to learn a completely new style, I wouldn't recommend it. It's tough to get the nuances of an art without a teacher.

If you decide to go the self route, find a training partner. You'll need someone to practice on.

I just thought too about asking a sensei from one of the schools if they do one-on-one training (like tutoring). Paid of course.

Do you think any of the instructors at schools 40 minutes away would train me like one day a week for a couple hours (I would pay them appropriately of course)?

Brandon

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone do self-study? Books, videos, short courses? Can you learn and progress on a self-study tract?

Have you ever thought about doing Saishu Ryu? It's a lot like your past experience and I think you would do well. If you are interested you should contact our Doshu Scot Mertz. I have heard that he does video correspondence courses for some people.

I have a link to the Saishu Ryu website on my name block. Go check it out. I'm pretty sure the contact form on the site goes directly to Doshu Mertz.

Tomo

Tomo Kagawa

--------------------------------------

https://www.saishuryu.com

Get a few people to train with and go for it, on your own you won't get very far though. Martial Arts is a two person game.

It's not as good as having a good coach and a class, but it will be better then nothing ;)

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

Have you ever thought about doing Saishu Ryu? It's a lot like your past experience and I think you would do well. If you are interested you should contact our Doshu Scot Mertz. I have heard that he does video correspondence courses for some people.

I have a link to the Saishu Ryu website on my name block. Go check it out. I'm pretty sure the contact form on the site goes directly to Doshu Mertz.

Tomo

yeah, sai shu ryu is a pretty big up and coming martial art. i was enrolled in it for a while before i had to move.

I bet you wish you knew me now.

Tomo

Tomo-

I attained Shodan (Shotokai) under Doshu Scot Mertz while stationed at Fort Meade, and since have assisted him in spreading the word of SaishuRyu. Although I am recovering from a neck injury at this time, my son and I (xdevilmaycry) would like to seek out anyone in the Fort Dix area interested in this exciting and practical new art. We just need to find a place to practice. Let me know what you think.

Eric Whitsell