• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How different is Tang Soo Do from Tae Kwon Do?

The forms certainly are. But in terms of techniques how different (or similar) are they?

Cue Laurie :D

Seriously,

Being a TKD guy, I've always wondered. TSD always seemed like a tougher, more hard core art. Maybe its a "grass is greener" thing, but since its less accessible than TKD, it always had a feel of something very different to me. How different or similar is it?

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
As history goes, chung do kwan was the initial school of tang soo do. It became the largest and most known of schools in Korea. Later, all variations merged to be presented as tae kwon do, with tang soo do still holding its individuality as a more traditional form of instruction. Chung do kwan tae kwon do is, traditionally, traditional (tsd)... whilst tkd, presented mainstream, is more of the sport/Olympic variety.

So, when a school advertises as chung do kwan tkd, they are inferring that they are traditional, as opposed to sport/olympic oriented. But, like i said, there are associations out there branding the name of chung do kwan and not being traditional, nor advocating traditional instruction. This is especially obvious when you note they advertise their 'sport' competitions and Olympic training programs.

from this thread - http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=19836

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

This is a topic that pops up periodically, and if you search through the pages in the Korean Martial Arts section, you will probably find more detailed replies.

Just letting you now, that since it has popped up a few times, you might not get as many replies as you normally would.

In any case, speaking in extremely general terms only, I think most people would tell you that TSD is more self defense oriented while TKD is more sport oriented.

That is not always the case, though, and it really depends more on the instructor than the art itself...you will find some very Sport oriented TSD schools and some very self-defense oriented TKD schools. You will find some schools in which TSD and TKD are almost indistinguishable from each other, and others in which the difference is as plain as night and day.

Therefor, classifying the difference between the two has become difficult at best.

Some TSD does seem more willing to accept roots in Chinese, Okinawan, and Japanese martial arts in addition to Korean heritage, while I'd say most (but not all) TKD downplays this. A lot of TSD downplays this, too, but not all...

TSD is probably closer to Japanese Karate than TKD is...but there are still marked differences...A shotokan student and a TSD student may do the same forms, and in some cases the sae techniques, but I've been exposed to both, and believe me, they do the some of same things in very different ways.

Sorry if I didn't answer your question...in all honesty, I'm more trying to show why it is such a hard question to answer.

Hehehehe IcemanSK. I'm here.

Anyways, TangSooGuy is right. It all depends on the instructor/school/org, ect. I can only tell you the differences of the two that I was exposed to.

The big differences is the forms and sparring rules. TSD was point sparring at tournies, but in the dojang, we did "anything goes" type sparring. TKD is semi to full contact non-stop sparring (no hands to the head).

Some of the techniques are different. I never heard of the walking stance till I started TKD. The kicks are pretty much the same, except TKD has this "quick 45 degree kick" that is mostly used in sparring. In TSD, we had a "wheel kick." It is basically a hook kick, but you keep your leg straight (no "hooking"). The stances are higher in TKD than in TSD. The blocks are the same except they are executed a bit different.

But this is just my experience with the two styles. It can vary big time with other instructors/schools/orgs.

Laurie F

Hehehehe IcemanSK. I'm here.

Anyways, TangSooGuy is right. It all depends on the instructor/school/org, ect. I can only tell you the differences of the two that I was exposed to.

The big differences is the forms and sparring rules. TSD was point sparring at tournies, but in the dojang, we did "anything goes" type sparring. TKD is semi to full contact non-stop sparring (no hands to the head).

Some of the techniques are different. I never heard of the walking stance till I started TKD. The kicks are pretty much the same, except TKD has this "quick 45 degree kick" that is mostly used in sparring. In TSD, we had a "wheel kick." It is basically a hook kick, but you keep your leg straight (no "hooking"). The stances are higher in TKD than in TSD. The blocks are the same except they are executed a bit different.

But this is just my experience with the two styles. It can vary big time with other instructors/schools/orgs.

I may have the opportunity to train in TSD soon.

My situation just keeps getting stranger. I've looked for Chung Do Kwon schools, & ITF schools in my area. Now I'm trying to track down a guy who used to run a TSD school near me that been closed for a few years. There are plenty of McDojo's in my area, but few "traditional" schools. It's one of the reasons I like kickboxing & boxing so much. ...No belts.

But I miss the "old school" MA stuff I used to do. All I want is for my rank to reflect my 23 years of experience.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

I tried that, too when I first moved here. I couldn't find a TSD dojang. But I "heard" there was a TSD instructor around. But he quit teaching years ago. He wasn't willing to teach anymore :( But I hope you have better luck.

But if you can find a decent TKD dojang, than that would suit you good. You may have to look hard, though.

Laurie F