• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

martial arts wisdom ot share or other

I was just wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom to share wether it is from your instructor or sensei or something your mom and dad told you. I have a few myself but I want to hear from you guys first :)

If you wash your hands in anger, you never have clean hands

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, it's all well and good to spout out "wisdom" that you have memorized, but what does it mean to you? If you give an adage such as yours, meanfighter, it's meaningless without context.

How have you assimilated it into your life and into your martial arts? Have you changed your practice/methods because of it? If not, then it's just words you have memorized, good for not much more than impressing the uninformed and unaware.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

My post to everyone may have gave evryone the thought that I am an immature kid who missuses what he learnes, but those were past events that I have learned from. when I posted, "a missuse of a martial art" evryone through how they felt but as I read I started thinking, this is a forum there is no proof that anybody here hasnt been in the same situation and acted if not the same way or similiar to how I did. If someone spits on my girlfriend (and calles her darogitory racial name) I will check them.

If I allowed him to spit on my girlfriend that I am still with how do you think he would of acted in school towards her when I am not around. If I show a sign of weakness infront of him he thinks that I am unable to protect and stand up for her or my self. There is times to walk away and believe me when I say that I would of he spit on me, but my girlfriend no way. Moving on:

people are not terribly anxious to be equal, but they love the idea of being superior.

James Baldwin

If you wash your hands in anger, you never have clean hands

My post to everyone may have gave evryone the thought that I am an immature kid who missuses what he learnes, but those were past events that I have learned from. when I posted, "a missuse of a martial art" evryone through how they felt but as I read I started thinking, this is a forum there is no proof that anybody here hasnt been in the same situation and acted if not the same way or similiar to how I did. If someone spits on my girlfriend (and calles her darogitory racial name) I will check them.

If I allowed him to spit on my girlfriend that I am still with how do you think he would of acted in school towards her when I am not around. If I show a sign of weakness infront of him he thinks that I am unable to protect and stand up for her or my self. There is times to walk away and believe me when I say that I would of he spit on me, but my girlfriend no way. Moving on:

people are not terribly anxious to be equal, but they love the idea of being superior.

James Baldwin

James -

You missed the point of my post. I know about some guy spitting on your girlfriend, and I've already responded in that thread about your actions and the results thereof. :D

In THIS thread, I was asking how these items of wisdom have meaning for you? Have they changed anything in how you look at life or martial arts? If so, how?

Just spouting out words that you have memorized only tells me you either have a book open or a good memory. If you associate it with a growth experience, then it becomes meaningful.

As an example: One of my favorite quotes is from Tae te Ching - "He Who Knows Others Is Wise. He Who Knows Himself Is Enlightened."

The way I interpret that is that for me to know how others will react to a given situation or thought means that I have a wisdom about the world around me, can understand it. If I know how I react to given things and situations, then I can use that knowledge to CHANGE the events around me, or even prevent them from happening. THAT is enlightenment, and a great awareness of your own place in the world.

So, back to the original subject, how have these two sayings you've given us changed you as a person and/or a martial artist? If they haven't, then all you are doing is memorizing, and not thinking for yourself.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player