• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

grappling moves every striker should learn?

Very nice discussion gang. :)

Let me try wording the question another way. When you get a new student at your grappling school, what do you teach them first? (ok, so it's almost entirely a new question, but still valid I think)

When I started in judo (only tried it for a semester back in college) we began with learning how to fall properly. After that we proceeded to several sweeps, a few throws, and some very rudimentary ground work. I feel like a semester was just enough to give me a taste of what judo was like, not much more. I did like it though and it made me curious as to how to add the things I did learn to my game and what else I should probably learn (hence my inital question).

-Clearly, so there's is no confussion on this point, I am still a complete newbie at grappling. All input is appriciated. :)

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think falls are a great beginning. Regardless of whether you study judo or bjj, you have to land in order get to the ground. Falls instruct you how to land, and without it, there would be a lot of injured n00blets during the takedown/throw phase.

But, really, i think the first thing i teach is to respect your partner. They are putting themselves in harms way for your education.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

I'm really not sure what it is you want at this point, despite reading this entire thread. Are you hoping for information on how to avoid being grappled while stand-up, on how to keep from going to the ground, or on how to handle yourself while on the ground? Or are you hoping to utilize grappling in one or all of these scenes?

I mean, i understand you're asking for what you need considering you have no training in any of it, but i keep coming back to... "get training in it," rather than hunt and peck.

The reason i say this is because it looks as if you're trying to obtain some techniques, rather than gain a grasp of the principles associated with it all. At the moment i'm trying to work on nailing the principles. I have a firm grasp of the techniques for all stages and a firm grasp of the principles for standup and takedown, but am presently trying to quantify the principles for groundwork. If you want me to present some of the principles for standup and takedown, i suppose i could do that, but like i said... i'm not sure if you want to learn the stuff, or want to learn how to defend against the stuff.

If it's the latter, if you are hoping to learn how to defend against it... i would say you're trying to learn how to block before you learn how to strike.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Yeah I agree with white warlock, in that what is it you want?

At first you wanted to know some few moves to practice to get back on your feet to thee striking range. So I thought you wanted to learn some basic stuff to stop take downs or to get out of few postions and get back to your feet.

Now seems like you just want to start grappling as a new person would. There is a huge diffrence and you are not making it clearn what you want.

Really I just wanted to see peoples opinions on the subject and begin a dialog in that direction. At this point in my training I think that knowing how to avoid being taken down would be a good thing to learn. I also realize that starting with that right of the bat is probably a horrible idea and I need to get some fundamentals first.

So maybe my thoughts have been changed a bit due to this disscusion. Cant say that's a bad thing. That change in my thought process led to the new question. Maybe it should have been a new thread as well...

Anyway, thanks for all the input.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

Ah, no, that's a good thing niel0092. I see where your mind was going now, and we should stand on your last question then. Soon as i get a few moments of peace i'll try to participate again.

Intro

Niel0092,

I understand what your saying IF you want some moves to start off the bat. See if any one in your school has wreslting back ground or judo or something. Starting off with take down defense is good. As well as understanding postions on the ground and postional control, escapes, sweeps, and submission set ups and defenses.

Either way, gaining some knowledge of grappling is good. Every one has to start some where.

You can check some sites that show techniques and vids and what.

bjj.org

https://www.royharris.com

grapplingarts.com

onthemat.com

there are many many more sites that have good vid's and info on them.