• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

grappling moves every striker should learn?

I was just curious as to which few techniques you all feel a striker should learn to round out their game, given that a full commitment to learning a grappling style may not be feasable. I guess a list of three to five techs is what I'd be looking for, maybe a breif explaination of the tech as well.

My gut feeling is that learning how to sprawl would be key as well as learning how to keep a guard position and escape from a mount. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Learning a grappling system not just particular defense for particular attacks, a sprawl may fail then you still end up getting chocked out. Learn the whole system says I!!

No matter how fashionable it is in Krypton, I will not wear my underwear on the outside of my Gi!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats why we said earlier about defenses against chokes and other subs

Yes but I feel that (and its only my humble opinion), the whole sytem should be learnt, get a 4th dan in grappling as well as striking. That would make you truly dangerous or secure....whichever way you want to see it!!

No matter how fashionable it is in Krypton, I will not wear my underwear on the outside of my Gi!!

Well, I do agree with h2Whoa that learning a grappling system would be best but I possed the question to the group to get an idea of where to start. I may switch to a grappling system in the future but right now it's not in the cards as it were. TJS, Karate25, Sub, and the others have given me great ideas so far. It's just something to start with...

Thanks, and keep the ideas comming folks!

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

Yes but I feel that (and its only my humble opinion), the whole sytem should be learnt, get a 4th dan in grappling as well as striking. That would make you truly dangerous or secure....whichever way you want to see it!!

Depends what your 4th dan in grappling is in.....

The most respected grappler with a belt would natrually be the BJJ fighter. To get a 4th degree in that would take roughly 20 years, give or take a few, and the degrees only suggest length of time as a black belt, not skill level (there are plenty regular black belts who will handle a 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th degree black belt)

Harold Howard for instance went ahead and got himself a black belt in some ju jitsu in Canada, but still didnt know how to fight on the ground- he got G&P'ed by a TKD fighter that he outweighed. A black belt does not mean you can fight.

We all agree that the best thing is to actually learn the system, but he was asking if that were not possible, in which case you focus on the highest percentage moves (i.e. I cant train boxing anywhere- what combos should I work on? (jab cross))

subgrappler,

boxing4free.com has some good stuff on it.

Yeah learning a system would be better. If you look at systems though most people don't use the whole system, just a few good techniques that they can use over and over again.

If your stirker you really don't need the whole system of grappling unless your going to compete in MMA events. You just need to take down defense works, recognizing and preventing subs don't need to be good at doing them. As well as working to get escape bottom postions and work back to your feet if thats how a person wants to fight.

IF they want to be well rounded though and be able to sub or strike then that is a diffrent story all together.

All I am trying to say is get an equivalent of what you are aiming for in your strike art! Also Judokas are respected just as much as BJJ!!

http://judoinfo.com/kimura.htm

not on the ground. They compliment each other very well but look at the rules. Y ou only have 20 seconds I believe in judo to get a submission so doesn't leave time to set up and work postions on the ground the same level that BJJ does. Also alot of BJJ black belts have black belts in Judo also because of the the throws that are excuted.

So each one compliment each other.

All I am trying to say is get an equivalent of what you are aiming for in your strike art! Also Judokas are respected just as much as BJJ!!

http://judoinfo.com/kimura.htm

Did you think I wouldnt know who Kimura is or that he beat a much older and much younger Helio?

Judo is a great martial art, theres no debating that, but it is NOT the same as BJJ (that does not mean that its either better or worse).

There was an interview that used to be on sherdog with the Camirillo brothers directed at BJJ vs Judo, since they regularly compete in both. They were olympic judokas prior to training in BJJ and what they have to say is this:

Theres a debate in Judo vs BJJ which most people agree that if you want to learn groundwork, do BJJ and if you want throws, do Judo. For some reason, almost everyone acknowledges that Judo has better throws, but that BJJ has better groundwork is hotly debated.

Long interview short, they say that a top notch Judoka (Olympic athelte) could never stand up to a top notch BJJ on the ground (Mundials champion such as Roger Gracie or Nino Schembri) just the same way that those two would get tossed around the room if they played standup with them.

Yes, there are people in Judo who have rather skilled ground games, and yes many of them do quite well in MMA competition as of late, but the accomplishments of a few do not outweigh the failures of the many- there are far more Judokas in the world than BJJ fighters and the reason BJJ wins on the ground is the same reason Judo wins on the feet.