• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

grappling moves every striker should learn?

I was just curious as to which few techniques you all feel a striker should learn to round out their game, given that a full commitment to learning a grappling style may not be feasable. I guess a list of three to five techs is what I'd be looking for, maybe a breif explaination of the tech as well.

My gut feeling is that learning how to sprawl would be key as well as learning how to keep a guard position and escape from a mount. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure what techniques but overall at least learn how to apply and defend chokes, defend the take down and if you are taken down how to get back up. you should also know what not to do like giving up your back and so on.

Where Art ends, nature begins.

Mount escape.

Back mount/RNC escape

Sit out/ gettign up from gaurd.

Sprawl/ body lock defenses.

basic arm bar/choke defenses.

Realistically If you dont plan to train much grappling you want to keep it pretty baisc and know enough to survive and get backto your feet. If you get taken down by a better grappler your proabably not going ot be able to submit of reverse them unless you devote alot of time to it. So like i said Keep it basic and make sure you are really good at the stuff you do know.

Sprawl for shot attempts.

Single leg takedown defenses.

Pummeling drill (for defending from the clinch)

Standing up in base (usefull to get back to your feet when on the bottom with the guard)

Mount escape (bump and roll)

good advice subgrappler :D

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward,

Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both,

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, If I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven.

Such is the rule of HONOR!

Thanks for the replies folks. I esp like TJS's advice to keep it basic and do the few things you do know well.

Sub, what exactly is a pummeling drill?

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

I really think learning the guard and a couple of moves from that guard would be a must. Most fights end on the ground, and knowing what to do if someone is on you is a great thing to know. I work in a closed-security prison and every fight I have ever seen has ended on the ground with someone on top pounding (or trying to pound) the other guy. Fights in real life are not like fights on TV, and no matter how good your striking is, you will probably end up on the gound.

"Karate ni sente nashi." - Funakoshi

https://www.KoketsuDojo.com

Sub, what exactly is a pummeling drill?

You start in a nuetral or over under clinch (each person has one arm under and one arm over) From there Its kind of like swimming for under hook...basically as one person makes space on one side to swim for an underhook, the other person does the same thing on the other side.

Its kind of a baisc drill that teaches you how to a achive a dominate clinch which is a double underhook body lock, and also to defend against someone getting double underhooks on you and being in a dominate position to take you down.

Bump and roll doesn't always work though. trained grappler can counter that. So two techniques that work in combination would help. Knee/elbow escape along with bump and roll would be good.

Learning those two moves is key in my opinion as far as being on the ground because those two hip movemnts are the bases for your escapes from the bottom postion on the ground. The verticle hip movment and horizontial hip momvent. Is must to learn to esacape from bottom postions.

Sprawling is a must, as well as pummeling drill and how to strike in a clinch.

and just getting up and standing back up. Basic defense against chokes, and straight and bent arm bars.

basically I am just saying same stuff TJS and subgrappler been saying.