• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is there a "set" rule for...

and 9th is Grandmaster and head of the art (Only one at a time).

Incredible, i didn't realize tkd had so many arts, or is it a hydra-type thing? :brow:

Ok, since you seem to want to not understand, I meant head of "my" style (Guess that's a better word than art), the ATA. Yes, TKD is similar across the board, but there are differences in each style, I was giving the way it is in mine.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incredible, i didn't realize tkd had so many arts, or is it a hydra-type thing? :brow:

Ok, since you seem to want to not understand, I meant head of "my" style (Guess that's a better word than art), the ATA. Yes, TKD is similar across the board, but there are differences in each style, I was giving the way it is in mine.

Aodhan

Hehe, i was being facetious mainly because i've seen at least 10 tkd schools indicating they have a grandmaster teaching. As far as i know there are only 3 major associations, with ATA being one of them, so to find that many tkd grandmasters gives me the impression there are many more 'heads' per body (or style). ;)

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Aodhan

Hehe, i was being facetious mainly because i've seen at least 10 tkd schools indicating they have a grandmaster teaching. As far as i know there are only 3 major associations, with ATA being one of them, so to find that many tkd grandmasters gives me the impression there are many more 'heads' per body (or style). ;)

Ah, now I get it! Heh. :D Ok, note to self. More caffeine in the morning. :D

Yes, I agree, although a "grandmaster" can also be construed to be the originator of an art, so if joe schmoe TKD guy changes one kick and calls it moo duck tae hap kwon do, he can make himself a GM. :D

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

I came on this board last week & all I seem to have is questions. I think its because my 1st instructor was very stoic & I was a kid that thought I either couldn't or should ask such dumb questions.

It seems that in MA in general, & Korean ones in particular, when "we" refer to someone as a "master," "instructor" (meaning on their own) or Grandmaster is quite subjective. Is there a set standard for those titles for the ITF or WTF etc? Or is it subjective?

I dont know :karate:

No matter how fashionable it is in Krypton, I will not wear my underwear on the outside of my Gi!!

In the HTF, 5th Degree is Master (after a year long prep) - 6th Degree is Sr. Master - 7th Degree is Chief Master and 8th & 9th Degree's are Grand Master. I guess it all depends on the Style, I had a hard time accepting me becoming master. I was in the ATA for years, when I started 7th Degree was the ATA master and then there was only one at that (Master H. U. Lee). When he became Grand Master or the group, he dropped the Master rank to 6th Degree and we actually had people leaving the org because of it. When I joined the HTF and 5 years later tested and recieved my 5th Degree, GM Pierce told me I was a going to go thru the process to become a master, I didn't know what to think............most of my friends thru TKD still call me Adam or Mr. H. All my students call me MasterH.

so if joe schmoe TKD guy changes one kick and calls it moo duck tae hap kwon do, he can make himself a GM. :D

Wait a minute, I think this guy just opened up a school down the street from me. Didn't Napolean Dynamite train under him? :D :karate:

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

so if joe schmoe TKD guy changes one kick and calls it moo duck tae hap kwon do, he can make himself a GM. :D

Wait a minute, I think this guy just opened up a school down the street from me. Didn't Napolean Dynamite train under him? :D :karate:

Rex Kwon Do Rulz! :D

I had only one instructor that insisted on being called "master." He had a huge ego, so he would get offensive if you didn't call him that. But My first instructor (TSD) and my current one, don't like to be called master. Out of respect I call them "master" but they don't like it. One is an 8th dan (TKD), the other is a 5th dan (TSD). Both of them are very humble guys. They rather you call them "Mr" not master.

My Jujitsu instructor is 5th dan. I call him "sensei." I know he is a master, but he doesn't mind it at all.

Laurie F