• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is there a "set" rule for...

I came on this board last week & all I seem to have is questions. I think its because my 1st instructor was very stoic & I was a kid that thought I either couldn't or should ask such dumb questions.

It seems that in MA in general, & Korean ones in particular, when "we" refer to someone as a "master," "instructor" (meaning on their own) or Grandmaster is quite subjective. Is there a set standard for those titles for the ITF or WTF etc? Or is it subjective?

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been told master is 7th degree, and Grandmaster is tenth...

That's just what I've been told, don't shoot the messenger if I'm wrong

or maybe master is 3rd, Grandmaster is 7th?

I have no clue

IN WTF Taekwondo, 4th dan is master. But by no means does that mean that someone who holds 4th Dan rank has "mastered" anything. As far as I'm concerned, there is more to being a true master than proficiency at the techniques. I think you should also be a good role model to your students, and psycologist when they need someone to talk to, a parent when they need direction, a friend when they need a friend. Having the ability to properly judge a situation, and the humility to not act like some conceited fool because of your rank or status. To effectivly spead your teaching to others, and better the lives of others through your own experiences and knowledge. To me..that is a true master..

Todd

I totally agree with Coralreefer....

Within WTF TKD a 4-6 degree BB is considered a Sabomnim or Master and a 7-9 degree is a Kwanchgnim or Grand Master. As for them being subjective this is true also to a point. I believe that it is more on an honorary rank as you are selected to "test" for that rank. To become a 7-9 degree you need to go to Korea, The Kukkiwon, to test.

February 24, 2007 I received my Black Belt in WTF TKD.

From what I know, which isn't much...You can address them as teacher, S

Sensei, instructor, sahbumnim, sah boo nim, kyo sah nim, O Sensei, or by whatever they suggest. If they really need to hear the term Master, and if you really have a problem saying it, then I suggest you let them know.

I believe that anyone above 6th Dan could be considered, something more than just a Sensei, but I am not sure what I title I would feel comfortable with.

I am one that doesn't follow the 'Master' terminology.

Even founder's or creator's of a system, do not have it mastered, as no one person can every truly master themselves. Life doesn't allow for such.

However, in the Asian culture, the term Master, has a positive spin on it, unlike in many of the western or european countries.

Which is odd, since it was America that created the 'Master's' degree program...Hmmmmmmmm. Go figure.

There is always something to learn, to expand on, to absorb, and to share.

When we no longer do such, we could consider ourselves no longer living.

:)

Just some thoughts...

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

IN WTF Taekwondo, 4th dan is master. But by no means does that mean that someone who holds 4th Dan rank has "mastered" anything. As far as I'm concerned, there is more to being a true master than proficiency at the techniques. I think you should also be a good role model to your students, and psycologist when they need someone to talk to, a parent when they need direction, a friend when they need a friend. Having the ability to properly judge a situation, and the humility to not act like some conceited fool because of your rank or status. To effectivly spead your teaching to others, and better the lives of others through your own experiences and knowledge. To me..that is a true master..

Todd

I've found that American 4th Dans tend to enjoy the master title more than Koreans do. My 1st instructor was Korean & a 6th Dan & didn't mind being called, "Mr." A former student of mine couldn't wait to call himself master. Even before he could, his students did.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

I came on this board last week & all I seem to have is questions. I think its because my 1st instructor was very stoic & I was a kid that thought I either couldn't or should ask such dumb questions.

It seems that in MA in general, & Korean ones in particular, when "we" refer to someone as a "master," "instructor" (meaning on their own) or Grandmaster is quite subjective. Is there a set standard for those titles for the ITF or WTF etc? Or is it subjective?

It's subjective according to the art. In the ATA, you are eligible for the title of Master once you reach 6th degree, but it is a yearlong preparatory process.

Additionally in the ATA, there are requirements about number of students promoting under your teaching, how active you are at national/regional events, etc. to be able to rank test for fourth and up.

Senior master is our 7th degree, chief master is 8th, and 9th is Grandmaster and head of the art (Only one at a time).

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Todd

I've found that American 4th Dans tend to enjoy the master title more than Koreans do. My 1st instructor was Korean & a 6th Dan & didn't mind being called, "Mr." A former student of mine couldn't wait to call himself master. Even before he could, his students did.

I agree. When I refer to a master in conversation I refer to them as Mr. Soandso....When Addressing them in a Dojang I call them by the rank title in Korean of course. As for Sensei (sp), This is not a Korean title to my knowledge.

February 24, 2007 I received my Black Belt in WTF TKD.