• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone here studied with Steve Morris?

Du Hast

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

he is a big mouth no doubt, i didn't read all the ... he wrote but please, 3 months with Yamaguchi and first dan? first year 3rh dan? from 3rd dan going to okinawa not knowing Suparinpei kata and some other katas ? i don't think so.

That does sound odd.

I would say that he might be a good fighter, and practices life with a Martial Art state of mind. However, in regards to Goju Ryu or Japanese Karate, (et al), upon his own admission, he is no expert.

In the first paragraph, Mr. Morris is the first to admit having only 8 years of actually karate practice.

That pretty much sums it up for me, and I believe Mr. Morris is also saying that one can take his karate experience for whatever they like, but his fighting talent and skill have always stood on their own, outside the realm of karate. He would be formidable opponent, indeed.

I disagree with his statement regarding Dim Mak, especially since he is laying the foundation for an absolute statement, as there are no absolutes in the world of human interaction. Especially warfare, and self-preservation.

NHB, in my view, is simply not all there is in the world. Mr. Morris's world perhaps, but not mine.

A true Martial Artists pulls from all things they know in order to win a fight. Mr. Morris has a foundation of fighting principles that work, along with a handful of techniques has used over the span of his lifetime.

In my view of things, Bruce Lee was attempting to break the mold of the typical kung fu and karate practictioners, and lead the way to a more dynamic method of fighting, one that incorporates a lifetime of attempting many things, in order to chip away at those things which do not work for you, while adding on those things that do work. The way Mr. Morris speaks, reminds me alot of how Mr. Lee would speak on similiar topics. This, in some sense, would label him as one of the first MMA fighters.

:)

Those are just some of my thoughts on the autobiography of Mr. Morris.

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

Well, he does sound interesting - that's for sure. It took me a few days to read over everything on his site. It pretty much sounds like he would get into a fight with someone at the drop of a hat - at least from what he is saying.

I think he does have some good points on things, but a lot of what he says is colored by his opinions pretty severely. Still - an interesting read.

I looks to me like some of what he has to say may be a bit overstated. I'm not knocking his fighting ability, because I've never seen him fight. I'm sure he has the ability to back it up.

What I am not believing is how he attained such high rank from the Yamaguchi family so easily. It's not easy to attain those ranks at the HONBO DOJO. My Dad has a 6th Dan from "THE CAT". Not so easy.

I also don't think that he was as outspoken in their DOJO as he is on is own website. That DOJO has produced some Amazing fighters. He would have been tossed out.

• 2 weeks later...

I train with Steve Morris.

Once a month or so, he runs MMA sessions, 4 hours on a sunday afternoon, usually in Shropeshire.

Myself and a small group of training partners attend.

I,ve trained for over 30 years, at various times in Judo, shukokai karate, Lau Gar Kung fu, Kick boxing, Ju Jutsu, mma.

I have never come across any instructor who comes close to Steve Morris, in fighting abilty , knowledge, skill & teaching ability.

He is a one off, very intense, takes no bullshit, and expects 100 % effort.

But thats what I want from an instructor.

As for his tales of Japan, believe them, he's was & still is at 61 years of age capable of everything he says.

You can always email, Steve yourself at his web site and ask if you may attend his training sessions, and sample the real thing for yourselves, personnallly I think if your serious about your training, you should.

ROBO

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I don't plan on being in his neck of the woods anytime soon. Mr. Morris did definitely interest me.

I'm not going to doubt anyones fighting ability. Especially if I don't know him. I also am not questioning his honesty, and I assume that Mr. Morris has much to offer.

But,

As you have suggested in checking out his class, I suggest that if you are ever in Japan, check out the IKGA Gojukai hombo DOJO. The fighters that they produce are absolutely amazing. Goshi included. I'm not talking about point sparring. The real deal.

My Father, and my Uncle have rank from his Goshi's Father Gogen, and Brother, Gosei. They trained under GOSHI as well.

No matter, how well you fight, rank is not given so easily in the Gojukai. They want you put your time in, and will toss anyone out that they may feel is disrespectful, no matter how tough he or she may seem.

Thanks again for the info.

Interesting site, sounds like his grudge against karate is partly due to bad relationships with karate people, and partly because it was of no benefit to him, IE it didn't (in his eyes) help his fighting ability, of course just because karate didn't improve his fighting ability doesn't make it an ineffective art. By the sounds of it he could have taken up origami and still been a great fighter (hmmm, I know I've borrowed that from someone, just can't think who...).

Anyway, that's just my 2 pence.

It's not what style you train, it's how hard you train - My Sensei