• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Crazy Idea...

are u talking about using a persons arm as a bo?

You don't think that Okinawans spend half their time working with weapons just so they know how to swing a stick or strike with a tonfa do you? Weapons are tools that share certain properties. They teach your body, hands, and arms how to manipulate items with these properties in forceful directions. When a person's arm is straight it has the same properties as a bo. When it is bent then you're looking at a nunchaku or rope. If you have a man's wrist then it is a sai or a tonfa. Same principles, same grips, same taisabaki. Sure having a weapon is nice, but knowing how to grip something and manipulate it effectively is priceless. :wink:

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry guys, I should have been more specific. This was not to be used at anytime on the street. It's extremely inconvenient for me to transport my bo from home to the dojo, so a retractable bo would have been easy to transport. Right now, it has to stick out the window, as my car is small. Anyways, it doesn't look like this idea will pan out. In addition, it would weigh about 2 pounds, which is too much for a bo. I need both a practice bo and a superlight performance bo. My old one's at the end of its life. Have any of you tried Chikara Customs? How good is their quality?

Thanks.

Tae Kwon Do 1st degree Black Belt

:lol: You must drive the cars that europeans drive, unless you live in Europe, then a big foot in my mouth :oops:

I mean, I drive a small toyota, and I can fit a 7 ft long tube of plasic in my car. What do you drive ? Can you put the seats down?

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

Ahhh, yes you are looking for a convenient and travel sized retractable baton that will be easy to spin.

I'm sure you could find a light weight metal such as aluminum and make it thinner to cut down on weight. If they can make a retractable antenna then there should be no problem with making something slightly larger as long as you don't need to hit anything with it I'm sure you'll be fine. Also they make batons that screw together and have fancy swirly designs like this one: http://www.karatedepot.com/wp-bo-012.html that also weight nearly nothing. Note the warning on that page stating that it isn't designed to do anything but spin in the air. If it hit anything you could hurt yourself.

Webster definition of "weapon: 1 : something (as a club, knife, or gun) used to injure, defeat, or destroy"

Edited by Sauzin

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

. In addition, it would weigh about 2 pounds, which is too much for a bo.

Need to make a technical correction here. A bo (as in the Okinawan/Japanese weapon) should weigh about 2.5 pounds at least. The first reason is that it's made out of hard wood, usually red oak or harder. The second is the diameter/density required to make it structurally sound. And the third reason exists within the equation for momentum which states Force = Mass * Acceleration. When applied to weapons it means that your bo needs to have enough mass so that when it is multiplied by your acceleration the bo can do damage on impact.

:lol: You must drive the cars that europeans drive, unless you live in Europe, then a big foot in my mouth :oops:

I mean, I drive a small toyota, and I can fit a 7 ft long tube of plasic in my car. What do you drive ? Can you put the seats down?

I'm in the US, but I drive a Mini Cooper!

. In addition, it would weigh about 2 pounds, which is too much for a bo.

Need to make a technical correction here. A bo (as in the Okinawan/Japanese weapon) should weigh about 2.5 pounds at least. The first reason is that it's made out of hard wood, usually red oak or harder. The second is the diameter/density required to make it structurally sound. And the third reason exists within the equation for momentum which states Force = Mass * Acceleration. When applied to weapons it means that your bo needs to have enough mass so that when it is multiplied by your acceleration the bo can do damage on impact.

I see, thanks for the advice. I also suppose it would make you stronger, working with a heavy bo. However, for demo, heavy bo's are cumbersome and are hard to spin fast. By the way, thatequation F = ma is Newton's equation for force. The momentum equation is p=mv, where p = momentum, and v = velocity. :)

I'm in the US, but I drive a Mini Cooper!

Yup. Now I see your dilemma! :nod:

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack