• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Board Breaking with Egg in Hand

As he recovered in the hospital with a fractured skull and a concussion, he found out that it was 'customary' to build bricks in that area of Mexico... with nails. For nails reinforce the bricks, yet are an inexpensive addition. After that incident, he learned to 'bring his own bricks.'

That’s why they always say “don’t drink the water and don’t try to break a brick with your head…”

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, bricks used for breaking are also specially prepared. As the wood, which is cut against the grain, the bricks are made vertically, rather than horizontally, so that they layer 'vertically,' thus allowing them to break cleanly and easily when struck while laying horizontally. As well, the mix of concrete used to make a brick is too light in water, and thus the brick is more brittle.

Care to elaborate on this statement? Most of the bricks I ever used/seen used were standard patio blocks purchased off the shelf from the local home improvement store. Nothing special about that.

These types of "bricks" are poured concrete, they are not made vertically vs. horizontally.

I think the egg part has already been explained in better detail that I could’ve offered. As far as the slow motion part: a single board isn’t that hard to break. One could push on it with little force and cause it to break. This could be done “in slow motion” so that you’re really just slowly applying more force on it until it breaks. That’s my wager.

The trick with the egg is not due to the strength of the shell. It is simply a matter of proper alignment of the hand/wrist/elbow/shoulder.

I do a break for my students where I keep my hand relaxed, and in a very loose fist. You can see a lot of daylight through it. The purpose is to show that the first two knuckles are my striking point, not my full fist. I could easily put an egg in my hand and do the same thing.

As for slow motion... the better question is what defines slow motion? Did he slow down for the break? And just because he slowed down from his usual speed, doesn't mean he was breaking in true slow motion. More likely it was just a very smooth, powerful motion that appeared slower than usual. Since we weren't there, we are forced to speculate.

When breaking wood, we use 12" x 12" x 1" pine boards. While they are not difficult to break, it does take more than just a push to break it.

Care to elaborate on this statement? Most of the bricks I ever used/seen used were standard patio blocks purchased off the shelf from the local home improvement store. Nothing special about that.

These types of "bricks" are poured concrete, they are not made vertically vs. horizontally.

Hi, do you buy them directly from Home Depot or something?

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Interesting. This, as i understand it, would be an exception, and an unnecessary risk on your part. All bricks are not made the same (as my previous story illustrated), and thus you are subjecting yourself to a rather dangerous variable.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Interesting. This, as i understand it, would be an exception, and an unnecessary risk on your part. All bricks are not made the same (as my previous story illustrated), and thus you are subjecting yourself to a rather dangerous variable.

Check this link...

http://www.usopen-karate.com/welcome.asp?default.asp&2

Look under Power Breaking. Specifically, "Patio blocks must be purchased from supply committee."

This is not required because these are specially made blocks. Quite the contrary, this is done so you cannot bring in your own special blocks. Poured concrete blocks are mass produced, and DO meet specific manufacturing standards. So in essence, a block purchased at Home Depot is the same hardness as the same size/material block purchased at Lowes.

I would state that since most people do not have the necessary knowledge required to make their own blocks, attempting to do so would pose a greater risk than buying them off the shelf. I couldn't even find a How-To with Google.

Matt White

Aye, bricks used for breaking are also specially prepared. As the wood, which is cut against the grain, the bricks are made vertically, rather than horizontally, so that they layer 'vertically,' thus allowing them to break cleanly and easily when struck while laying horizontally. As well, the mix of concrete used to make a brick is too light in water, and thus the brick is more brittle.

Bricks for breaking are made differently, IIRC. They look like regular bricks (Rectangular and solid), but have a different consistency than building bricks.

Blocks, such as you get at home depot, etc. are not bricks, and I think that is where the confusion is. Concrete in any form has a lot of air trapped in it, and is inherently more brittle due to that, plus there are very few blocks that are as short as a building brick, which also makes a difference in how easy it is to break. The longer a block, the easier it is to break.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

aye... blocks, bricks, dimensions.

I would state that since most people do not have the necessary knowledge required to make their own blocks, attempting to do so would pose a greater risk than buying them off the shelf. I couldn't even find a How-To with Google.

Our discussion was about bricks, as Aodhan indicated. Either way, making such is not hard. However, doing it at-home is an issue and one should actually purchase the 'prepared' bricks from a brickmaker, an established business, not some guy working out of his garage who looked up a how-to on google. ;)

Intro