• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Board Breaking with Egg in Hand

Just this past Wednesday I attended a big Black Belt Promotion here. Two of the instructors at my school went up to 7th Degree. At the end of the show, the head instructor of our school, Jim Clapp (8th Degree) demonstrated breaking a board in slow motion with an egg in his hand, then with a lightbulb. How is this done? I don't expect to learn it or anything, but I'd like to know a little information about the principle.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I have no idea how to break a board in slow motion (that defeates the physics behind board breaking altogether), but to break with an egg in your hand, you would have to have a very stiff fist, and distribute the force of the impact over a large area of the shell, preferably with the egg leading with the fat end.

well, you didn't indicate how he broke the board. I.e., with fist?

I'm assuming fist, in which case, all he did was strike with the line of the bones. He simply softly held the items in his palm and struck with the point of his knuckles, allowing the strike path follow up his arm. Also, doing so would require that he pass 'through' the item he struck.

Last, yes... weak boards. As is the nature of any of these things, boards used for breaking are cut against the grain, ensuring that the board break cleanly, safely, and easily. I find board breaking to be the most common parlor trick in the martial arts. I once spent time, when i was 12 years old, with a gentleman who never studied any arts, but was considered one of the best breakers in the U.S.. He honestly explained that it is mainly a show process, although there are some very important concepts to understand. It is those concepts, not the amount of boards or the 'tricks' included with the breaking of the boards, that need to be developed.

But, also, always remember that a board doesn't hit back. ;)

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Take a raw egg in the palm of your hand and sqeeze. Do this over a sink of you doubt me. Squeeze with even pressure, at first lightly and then gradually build up the pressure. Make sure you aren't wearing any rings. You'll notice that it takes quite a lot of force to crush the egg, but a gentle tap on the edge of a pan or counter will easily crack it.

Yes, that is another factor. the rounded surface of the egg, and the lightbulb, would distribute any residual pressure created upon impact.

Again, a trick. I'm surprised an 8th degree kempo instructor opted to present such tricks to you guys, without revealing such. :roll:

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro