• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I love it when I step in the ring with an opponent for the first time, and come up with a good strategy, that seems custom made for that opponent.

I just wanted to hear about some of your spontaneous strategies. The ones that you come up with on the spot, but don't even realize it until the fight is over. Or the sparring match.

Justfulwardog

By daily dying I have come to be. ~Theodore Roethke

Each forward step we take we leave some phantom of ourselves behind. ~John Lancaster Spalding

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I was once in a san shou fight against a guy who was really killing me with low kicks. The fight came to a draw and went into an extra round. . I was really tired and new I couldnt handle another round of getting my legs hammered. I had to do something fast to drop this guy.

I had noticed he was dropping his left hand when he threw the right kick.

So as soon as the round started I began circling to my left enticing him to throw a Rt low kick. As soon as he moved I threw a jumping round house which clocked him right on the temple dropping him. TKO! And the crowd went wild!

What a great feeling that was.

"Today is a good day to die"

Live each day as if it were your last

You did great. Watch, learn, adapt, and thrive.

Once you combine your ability to adapt strategically in a dynamic way, with an ability to stick and or adhere to your opponent, following them, then your sensitivity will improve, and eventually your combat will flow.

Stick and follow, rather than block/retrreat, and counter strike.

Avoid stepping backward.

Muay Thai is about in-fighting, so the above ability to blend with your opponent is crucial. In American Kickboxing, however, their is a trend to make it more of a distance form of fighting. This trend could and should change over time.

However in-fighting involves retraining the mind, and learning skills that build confidence in technique, for they are techniques that work, over and over.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

well back in the day when i trained TKD and was first courting Muay Thai i was competeing in a full contact TKD tournament and the guy i was faceing was FAST and doing well gaining some points on me. then in desperation i decided to throw a thai kick and it went straight threw his gaurd and collided with his ribs he went down and even though he was wareing a chest gaurd he was unable to continue the fight.

Fist visible Strike invisible

Hmm, let me see if i can find a few:

Boxing - i was going against a guy with a significantly longer reach. He would repeatedly jab me and i had little defense against it. I kept thinking i was out of his range, since he was out of mine, but always came the jab that reminded me i was not. It was still the first round, and i noticed his jab retreat carried with it a body retreat, so the next time he took in a jab, i stuck my face to it... literally, and followed his fist back to his body. I then proceeded to pummel him repeatedly with uppercuts and hooks, all the while keeping his arms all tied up so he couldn't counter (ye' ol wing chun tricks). I guess the domination was obvious, as the bout was halted, end of story.

Wrestling - i had watched this competitor wrestle before, and he was always linear in his attacks, and almost always going for a single-leg. It was my turn to go against him, so i baited him with one of my legs being thrust forward... as if i didn't know what i was doing. He, of course, went for it, and as soon as he did, i redirected my weight to that leg, pivoted to his side and knocked him over for a quick pin. All rather quick and far too easy.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

awsome i love to hear good wrestling storys!!! season starts in two weeks, cant wait.

one time at the district wrestling meet i was up against a guy whom i knew i could not take down, so i gave him the single and let him have my back, i then did my best move the gramby roll and pinned him, it got me to state but that same guy beat me there, lol

Fist visible Strike invisible