• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

training in Karate online ?*!?*

kasumi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For a year and a half after moving I was still driving 1.5 hours to my school 5 times a week. I completly understand what you mean about a busy lifestyle though, I took a high paying job that does NOT work with my dojo schedule at all...I have to wake up at 3:30am to go to work one week and the next week I get home at 5:00am ... I can't make classes consistently at the moment.

One thing you can do is find private instruction, my sensei charges $45/hour and you can learn whatever you want (doing regular karate is an option as well). My sensei, being rather young, is great for sparring so you can do that as well (no interaction with other students may be a bit of a dissappointment so...) what my sensei also does is lets his private students come to class if they feel like it (they certainly pay enough to) so even if you went to 1 class a month you would get interaction with other students plus VERY high quality 1on1 instruction.

Note that this information applies to my sensei and dojo only, I have no idea who is near you or what they do...or how they do it :)

HTH,

Chado

i would not opt for the online training. if you cant make it every night, just go the nights you can. maybe the sensei or senior students would be available on saturdays or something for additional supplental workouts.

in any case, i strongly advise learning ina classroom setting, with other people. a computer cannot monitor your progress.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

I disagree that video training or correspondence is only a scam.

Video training, is just that, video training. Meaning it is two dimensional, as it is not right there, in your face, pressing you to react with your mind and body.

Video training is a good tool or resource, but it is not the only tool.

If you are gifted, and have the natural ability to pick up on the Martial Arts, then you might go farther than others, but at some point you will still need hands on correction by a instructor.

Fellowship is crucial in the Martial Arts. There is nothing like person to person contact in a learning environment.

I would buy videos, but would want to find someone qualified to help me get through it. So video corresponse would work up to a point. But I am only repeating myself here.

There is you, your instructor, and your gear. Consider video, and articles, and books, part of your gear.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

just phone up the instructers and ask for privite lessons. You'll get more out of 1on1 tuition that you will from a class. Then make the classes whenever you can. Thats what I used to do when I worked a lot of nights.

Most instructers are happy to do 1on1 classes cos its good money.

If your looking for a club, join a club where the sensei is a full time instructor, not just someone who works in the day and teaches a class once a week. You fond there are much better teachers, are less stressed and better martial artists.

Nothing against part timers. you understand.

"Turn to face the sun,

your shodows will fall behind you"