• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Disgusted....New Rant

A few more things to consider:

Some people have their own engines and are able to push themselves to excell. But, they are few and far between. Most need to be encouraged, which is where coaches and trainers come in. They help to push people to go beyond their own private limitations. Therefore, if you enter a school that has a teacher who is relaxed in training, that's likely the level of effort you'll put into your studies. If, however, he is intense, you will either match that intensity, or walk out.

As noted earlier, not everyone is into 'intense.' The vast majority of people cannot afford medical coverage, time off from work, an injury that could take them out of the running for an athletic scholarship, etc. It is only a few people who can 'afford' the risk of injury that such sporting events present.

I'm not rich, so i opt out of such things. The injuries i've obtained over the years have cost me hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills, time from work, and lost opportunities. It took me awhile, but i finally realized i simply could not afford that degree of intensity in my training (in fact, even with medical insurance, i have spent over a year battling the insurance company to 'authorize' my doctor's recommendation for surgery on my knee.)

There are very few programs available out there for martial artists to 'maintain their training.' Unlike Olympic athletes, who can be sponsored and can participate in government-run Olympic training camps, martial artists really don't have such pristine luxuries. There's very little out there in the form of support for us. If we're not independently wealthy, we're really just taking 'risks' with our future, or our family's future.

Note something else. A large percentage of competitors in such events came from an Olympic, or university, wrestling background. They had the opportunity to develop their skills while being 'sponsored.' How many of you can claim such ... luxury?

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic