• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Disgusted....New Rant

was just watching some UFC videos on my computer, and man some of the garbage I'm seeing leaves me feeling little more than disgusted.

So many people I know that I refer to as the "flavor of the month" crowd (you know, the crowd of barely trained if trained at all "fighting fans" that were obsessed entirely with XMA not too long ago...and wrestling before that....and boxing before that) that are ranting and raving about how the UFC represents the best fighters in the world, and that what we're watching is what "REAL FIGHTS" look like. None of that "fake flashy Jet Li/Jackie Chan garbage we see at the movies."

So much that they don't have to worry about in the ring, that they can afford to make blatantly horrendous mistakes that would leave them dead in the street against a skilled fighter. Like leaving the back of their head exposed on the ground, or taking hooking swings at each other when in close with their neck exposed (because they're tough enough to take the facial shots from their tired opponent).

After watching enough of these fights I can honestly say the only part of it that I enjoy watching is when two talented grapplers go at it just because of the skill involved in that as a sport. Aside from that, it's becomming quickly more apparent that UFC fighting is just about a step above (in regards to being "realistic") point sparring.

What people need to do is take a few standard self defense courses. Take a few classes in physics, and human biology. And figure out what really works for themselves in the most efficient manner.

"Question oneself, before you question others"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that UFC, Pride, KOTC, et al...are great SPORTS.

MMA is very valid on the streets. I'm pretty sure no strict MA would call for picking up a rock and using it to end a fight.

But in a real fight there are truly "no hold barred".

Sport is just that, sport. MA is a very old form of self defence. MMA is a philosophy that, I believe, uses what ever works at the moment to let me survive the next 5 minutes.

1*

In response to those who constantly refer to MMA as solely a "sport" bear in mind that the mixed martial artists you see in the UFC and Pride Fighting Championship are THE BEST fighters in the WORLD- BAR NONE.

As far as martial arts being about "not fighting" thats completely incorrect- martial arts are about fighting. If the people who trained in these styles NEVER fought, they would NEVER have devised these systems, techniques, or strategies. Fighting is like any other physical activity- the more experience you get, the better you become at it. You progress through hard physical training just as you would in basketball, football or anything else.

To those who feel that their "masters" have never competed because martial arts are against fighting, that more often than not is a cover- many of these people are truely scared to step in the ring and find out if what they've been training in for the past 20 years will really work. The are countless more karate, TKD, and kung fu fighters in the world when compared to jiu jitsu fighters, yet how does the MMA world see so many of one and none of the other? There are specific reasons for this (and its not because style x is "too deadly" for the ring).

There are many critics of MMA, for example the original poster speaking of leaving your neck exposed- by all means step into the ring and prove your point- neck strikes are perfectly legal in Pride. Too many of these critics base everything on theory, and there is all the difference in the world between theory and reality (as the first MMA events showed).

So many people I know that I refer to as the "flavor of the month" crowd (you know, the crowd of barely trained if trained at all "fighting fans" that were obsessed entirely with XMA not too long ago...and wrestling before that....and boxing before that) that are ranting and raving about how the UFC represents the best fighters in the world, and that what we're watching is what "REAL FIGHTS" look like. None of that "fake flashy Jet Li/Jackie Chan garbage we see at the movies."

Well, yeah, that is more what "REAL FIGHTS" look like. True, in a "REAL FIGHT" there will be strikes to the groin, eyes, knees, etc., but those strikes would be delivered in much the same manner as all of the head and body strikes in the UFC; the targets and weapons would broaden, but the mechanics remain the same. If you don't believe me, you and a friend from your school should try a match with the same rules as national MMA competitions, and see what it looks like.

Of course the UFC doesn't represent the "best fighters in the world," just because there are probably a lot of people who are better, but don't compete, but these competitors are top-of-the-line fighters, and could probably make a meal of any two of us. Furthermore, the fact that they don't train "foul tactics" for the competition, doesn't mean that they never trian for non-competitive fighting.

In response to those who constantly refer to MMA as solely a "sport" bear in mind that the mixed martial artists you see in the UFC and Pride Fighting Championship are THE BEST fighters in the WORLD- BAR NONE.

As far as martial arts being about "not fighting" thats completely incorrect- martial arts are about fighting. If the people who trained in these styles NEVER fought, they would NEVER have devised these systems, techniques, or strategies. Fighting is like any other physical activity- the more experience you get, the better you become at it. You progress through hard physical training just as you would in basketball, football or anything else.

To those who feel that their "masters" have never competed because martial arts are against fighting, that more often than not is a cover- many of these people are truely scared to step in the ring and find out if what they've been training in for the past 20 years will really work. The are countless more karate, TKD, and kung fu fighters in the world when compared to jiu jitsu fighters, yet how does the MMA world see so many of one and none of the other? There are specific reasons for this (and its not because style x is "too deadly" for the ring).

There are many critics of MMA, for example the original poster speaking of leaving your neck exposed- by all means step into the ring and prove your point- neck strikes are perfectly legal in Pride. Too many of these critics base everything on theory, and there is all the difference in the world between theory and reality (as the first MMA events showed).

some styles try to think of martial arts not about fighting directly but a lifestlye which involves if forced apon to fight. So i wouldnt say all martial arts are about fighting, its about how you term the martial art. And those types of martial arts are meant to be seen in a certain way and carried out in a certain way dont join into some competetion to prove themselves to the media, i see a martial art as a personal thing, the martial art community can be looked on as a person also. The conclusion is that i think if a martial art is happy with what they do and how they do it why is everyone constantly challenging it? There really is no point. Good points though, i liked how you talked about the MMA staues in the world.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

>I'm pretty sure no strict MA would call for picking up a rock and using it to end a fight.

*coughs* Um, that's actually one of the reasons why we learn how to do those "flashy" cartwheels, actually.. =)

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

A shame that apparently some posts I made in reply to this thread must have caused some unneccesary turmoil on here, but I'll summarize what I had said in that I believe MMA (if practiced properly) is the pinnacle of martial arts/fight training.

The UFC and those that train for sport purposes is not however, and far too many people have bought into the mentality that two guys bulldozing into each other, and then shooting for a takedown is the way to go when it comes to being the "best."

This is not to say that UFC/Pride/K-1/Boxing or any other sport martial arts should be mocked or frowned upon. They train harder and with more passion than probably any other martial artists you could ever find. And with proper training in realistic, proven technique they could be the most devastating and dangerous people alive.

It's just that it's not realistic to train in such a manner if your goal is proper ability to defend yourself and/or kill someone in a life threatening situation. Far too many bad habits are embedded into a fighters muscle memory when it comes to training for sport purposes.

"Question oneself, before you question others"