• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Non-martial Art Things That Helped You

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
What non-martial arts training, experiences, or classes have some of you here done that helped you run your school or teach the martial arts?

Anything counts, like cpr classes, business classes, or aerobics training.

lk

I have some 248 college credits in teaching, plus 11 years of school teaching experience..that helps a lot. I've also been teaching my own karate classes since 1978, and there's nothing like experience to tell you what works, and what doesn't.

If possible, I'd suggest taking soem college courses in teaching. You don't need to get a degree in it, but learning how the human mind works can be very beneficial.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I teach snowboarding which is quite the challenge and covers a broad range of ages, physical abilities and learning styles. I find this experience very valuable in the dojang.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

well any classes such as speech and education classes. I am taking classes to be a teacher so they really helped. Also any type of anatomy class of sports science. I also have recently taken classes in Ancient Thai Massage and that really helps me not only with people with injuries but you learn interesting energy lines and pressure points.

Draw close to god, and god will draw close to you. James 4:8

well any classes such as speech and education classes. I am taking classes to be a teacher so they really helped. Also any type of anatomy class of sports science. I also have recently taken classes in Ancient Thai Massage and that really helps me not only with people with injuries but you learn interesting energy lines and pressure points.

Any of the kinesiology courses at a decent college will help, as well as whatever they call their analysis and movement classes. These are classes that take specific sports, break down their motor skills and show you how to break it down/refine/teach it. While they were sports specific, the knowledge of how to dissect a movement comes in really handy when I'm tearing someones form apart (In a nice way! :D)

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found that my teaching style changed greatly after working in the security industry. I felt I had more understanding of what I was doing.

Aside from that, only have Occupation First Aid (just below an ambulance officer), but thankfully I haven't had to use it in training.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

• 2 weeks later...

swimming is one of the biggest helps i've had from the outside. i've been teaching swimming for years and it helps me explain complex physical movements verbally. also, i find that the physical conditioning is excellent and can be a good change of pace exercise for your class. (especially doing things like kick/punch/blocking drills or kata while partially submerged in water).

cpr and first aid classes have also helped me (you are probably going to end up patching someone up and you learn how to cut the blood flow off to different parts, about immobilizing extremeties, breathing, et cetera). taking a break from your class and trying out a different class may also help you learn more than you realize. you can see the difference between the two arts or even within the same art two teachers may not have the same approach.

ballet if you're brave. dance has helped (swing and waltz). break yourself away from the ordinary and pursue the extraordinary.

some thoughts on karateKarateRanch Blog