• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Aodhan, plus is it true that they pay some people to compete :) My friend who I work with said they even put some of thier competetors can get put in the olympics :D

If you wash your hands in anger, you never have clean hands

Thanks Aodhan, plus is it true that they pay some people to compete :) My friend who I work with said they even put some of thier competetors can get put in the olympics :D

Uhm...NO. The ATA does not pay ANYONE to compete. ATA tournaments are open to any actively training ATA member 5th degree and below. (Once you reach 6th degree, you can no longer compete, although I think that is changing at this years Worlds.) No compensation, just trophies and competitor participation awards.

Anyone can make it into the Olympics. Anyone. Olympic qualifying tournaments are run according to WTF sparring rules. The last time I checked, as long as you placed in the top 2 in your weight division at the Olympic trials you were on the team, #3 was the first alternate. Doesn't matter if you are WTF, ITF, ATA, ITI, whatever. As long as you had a valid kukkiwon certificate and sparred according to the WTF ruleset, you could qualify. There is an ATA'er in Colorado that was an alternate for the last Olympic team.

I forget the steps to get to the Olympic trials, though. I think they were along the lines of placing in the top 3 at a recognized state championship, top 3 at certain designated tournaments, participation on the last or current national team, placing at Worlds, and a couple other high level tournaments (Such as the Pan Am games). I think if you have medaled at an Olympics you can get an automatic entry into the trials. I'm sure the USTU has the qualifications on their website.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player