• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My opinion:

Camoflague belts = Mc DOjo

Really? Care to justify that statement? What is it based on?

There is an argument to be made that any belt color other than white or black could be considered McDojo if you really want to stretch the point. The different colored belts are nothing more than a visible indicator of the progress toward the goal of black belt. The actual color doesn't matter, it's what it stands for within the style.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also why dont you let non ATA members compete in ATA tournaments.

Two reasons, primarily.

The first is from a business/financial aspect. ATA has an excelllent reputation for safety in tournaments. As a result, the tournament host can get insurance for the tournament at a lower premium. If we opened the tournament up, we'd lose that. The last open tournament that I attended had contracted with a private EMS service to provide first aid; the medics had to call for assistance because of the number of injuries and the company was shuttling ambulances back and forth to the site.

The second is skill. We compete with the Songahm style forms. The judges know those forms front and back. As a result, the scores you get are very specific, with one judge scoring kicks and stances, one judge scoring hand techniques and one judge scoring overall performance. With non-ATA competitors, we would have the same problem that open tournaments have, where you might have a karate stylist, a kung-fu stylist and a Muy Thai stylist trying to judge a Korean stylist's form. Nobody knows what the form is or even if it's being done correctly or made up on the fly.

sorry to make tou mad buddy :) its just that there was post earlier that said something about being sewed if cought doing a form in without bieng regestered.

Well that was me. The Songahm forms are protected as the intellectual property of the ATA. If anyone is caught teaching the Songahm forms without permission form the ATA (good luck with that) legal action will probably be taken. It's happened before, a group of former ATA instructors (ITC) were teaching the Songahm forms and were sued. The suit was dropped after they agreed to refrain from teaching them.

Heck, when GM Pierce dropped out of the ATA, I was given explicit instructions on how to answer the phones. After what happened with the ITC gents, he wanted to give no reason for anyone to look at him, for any reason.

I'll be glad to answer any questions about ATA that I can, as well.

I'm a 5th Degree with ATA, certified instructor and school owner.

how long did it take you to become 5th degree, white to black..... just curious

place clever martial arts phrase here

ve the control along with the ability to walk away. Why I am I confused? Seems like everyone here is worried about who can beat up who, and if that is your reasoning behind be in the Martial Arts, then I would not want to be a part of your Dojo. Kind of reminds me of the original Karate Kid. Mr. Miagi (sp) said " Karate is here (pts to heart), Karate is here (pts to head), Karate is never here (fists).

NO, he pointed to his belt.

place clever martial arts phrase here

I'll be glad to answer any questions about ATA that I can, as well.

I'm a 5th Degree with ATA, certified instructor and school owner.

how long did it take you to become 5th degree, white to black..... just curious

I started with ATA in July of 1987 as a White Belt. I tested for Fifth Degree in June of 2004.

im a nice guy so i dont want to come off as a jerk but i have never had a good experience with the ATA not one, im shure there are decent MA's in the organisation but where is the contact? look i just think that if i can beat all the ATA blackbelts in my highschool (there are 9) with just my wrestling (and little effort) there is something seriosly wrong with the way they are teaching there students.

ATA is not fighting. ATA is sport. ATA has no groundwork. You take an ATA to the ground, he will know as much as the layman. That being said, if ATA schools are advertising their art as the "uber deadly system that can contend with anything on the planet, the best martial art" then we have a problem. BUt looking solely at the system of course they won't be able to defend a wrestler... they don't teach that.

better self defence = krav maga, scars,ect

Good lord man. You're criticizing ATA and then recommending SCARS??? Talk about pot calling kettle black and jumping from frying pan into the fire...

look i think a person would get in better shape and better self defence skills from joining my highschool football team than joining the ATA, on the lighter side i think the world is a better because of the charicter development in the ATA.

This is a generalization, if ATA members choose to, they can train to the bone. If they want to be fat lazy stumps who can't kick above their ankles then that's their choice too. Although the latter presents a problem. Point is they can train hard if they choose to and if their instructor is good.

also why dont you let non ATA members compete in ATA tournaments.

That's a legit question. At least have ATA hosted open tournaments... My TSD organization does the same thing, but mainly because they want people to pay money and register... not really a ego thing. If people want to be members come in and trounce everyone go for it.