• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Instructor certification camp

Well, after finishing my 300 hours of teaching, lower belt knowledge tests, teaching fundamentals, etc etc etc., I went to my 3 day instructor certification camp for the ATA.

Friday: Got to camp about 1 pm, helped set up mats, tables, chairs, more mats, cabins, more mats. Checked in at 5, dinner at 6pm, first training session at 7pm. That ended up going until about 11:30 at night, doing nothing but going over 6 different blocks, breaking them down into minute details, and going over the variations and why one might be better than another. As instructor candidates we were excused from the Honor workout, but a schoolmate of mine and myself went, and had a good time. Finally in bed about 12:45am

Saturday: Up at 6, self review of forms and onesteps. (For the first 5 belts, we have 3 sets of moves per belt to introduce sparring concepts. White belt #1, partner punches, you step back and high block, reverse punch midsection, punch midsection, reverse punch face, step back and low block). Breakfast at 7, lunch at 12:00, dinner at 6:00. The ENTIRE rest of the day was breaking down each of the 9 color belt forms into details and correcting/interpreting the reasoning behind the moves. Interspersed with that was 3 one hour sessions of going over basic kicks and breaking THOSE down. After dinner we spent 1 1/2 hours going over one steps. Somewhere in there we had to write a basic class planner to cover a 45 minute class. Bed, about 11:30pm.

I woke up at 3 am due to snorers in my cabin, couldn't get back to sleep, so I went up to the restroom to review my forms and one steps again.

Sunday, up at 7, breakfast at 8, testing at 9. Basically, in front of the senior ranks (2 senior masters (7th degree), and two masters candidates (6th degree)), we get put with 5 campers from the recertification group, handed our class planner, and told to teach it in 5 minutes (30 second warmup, minute on forms, minute on drills, etc etc.). Along with that we had to have 7 of our 10 class management skills touched on. (Referring to students by name, touch, setting mood of class, etc).

That part I absolutely rocked on. Then came the review of lower ranked material. Your evaluator picked 3 forms at random, and you had to give the # moves in the form, the form meaning, and perform it. Not so good here. My middle belt form I kind of scrambled with another form. I was so tired and stressed at this point I couldn't see straight. :D Also memory blocked and couldn't remember a one step, but was able to do it after being prompted for the first move.

So, one week later I was back in the local Senior Masters dojangh, and went through the form/one step review again. Managed to do them well this time through, and was told I have completed all requirements for full instructor certification.

Now, it's just a matter of waiting for that nice little letter from Headquarters... :D :D :D

WAHOO!!!!!!!!

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Congrats. Must feel great! :karate:

Heh, you have no idea! I've been stressed out for about 6 weeks prior to this, driving my fiancee absolutely nuts. :roll:

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

I've been stressed out for about 6 weeks prior to this, driving my fiancee absolutely nuts. :roll:

Aodhan

Don't worry, she'll pay you back after you're married. :P

Oh, marriage isn't that part I'm worried about. In about a year, she takes her Irish Dance teaching certification test, which I think is harder than what I had to do.

And, being a woman, she's naturally more high strung. :brow: :o :roll:

Aodhan (Who is thankful she doesn't read MA message boards)

Aodhan (Who is thankful she doesn't read MA message boards)

lol, i'll send her the link. :brow:

Thanks, War, you're all heart. :roll: :P

Aodhan