• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

No need for WTF

I don't dissagree, but that's an opinion.

Isn't that we we are all offering here, opinions? Shinobi187 offered his opinion, and I strongly disagree with his contention, so I offered mine.

Put an averave ATA student in a WTF tourney and they wouldn't go three rounds. Put a WTF student in an ATA national event and they would not last. Apples and Oranges...........

Of course, but I'm talking about taking students from each org and putting them in a style neither has trained in.

Yes sir, this is a place to offer opinions. And I thank you for yours, as I thank S-187 for his.

And the ATA offers olympic style sparring as sort of an Protech semminar series, so it's out there for them. But what I was saying was you can't compare the two in your style be that you are more the ATA style than the WTF style.

Have a good morning, sir. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SO is the ATA more prepared for a tournament then the WTF?

Depends, what type of tournament? What rules?

*can't believe I jumped into this arguement*

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

Again, it depends on the individual student, not the federation. There are students in our dojangh that will probably never go to a tournament, and there are students such as myself, who live for tournaments and travel to chase ranking points. The students who never plan to go, probably aren't prepared for it if they suddenly HAD to go. That wouldn't matter if you are WTF, ATA, ITF, GBTU, whatever.

Is an ATA'er prepared for a WTF style tournament? Probably not. Is a WTF'er ready for a ATA style tournament? Same answer.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

I did Goju Ryu, and Karate, and yet did alright in my TKD tourney days.

However, it takes some getting use to. Either you blend in, and work with those different philosophies, or you find something that goes well with what you already know.

Eventually I had a past in both, so it worked out.

:)

Just some lose thoughts...

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

• 2 weeks later...

Depends, what type of tournament? What rules?

*can't believe I jumped into this arguement*

So how different are the ATA rules when it comes to sparring in tournaments :-? Are the majority of ATA tournaments point or, full contact :)

If you wash your hands in anger, you never have clean hands

WTF does continuous sparring but with no punches to head or takedowns. The contact is hard.

ITF does point stop and go sparring but they punch to the head and don't wear too much gear (ie NO HOGUS)

I think if the two merged, it would be great. Continuous sparring with punching to the head with takedowns and hard contact with minimal gear.

THAT would be old school TKD. ie more Tang Soo Do like aka not a sport

but hey Kukkiwon and Choi do it how they like it.

I think if the two merged, it would be great. Continuous sparring with punching to the head with takedowns and hard contact with minimal gear.

Yeah, that would be alot of fun. I wish we did allow a bit more in our sparring but I have to say that when I started at the University the TKD club was the only one that allowed contact of any kind. Made my choice alot easier.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

Yeah, its something I've always wondered about many Korean styles/organizations. If you look at Japanese and Chinese systems, there are many offered tournaments that are mostly full contact fighting with a host of different ranges. Japan = kumite, best examples include Kyokushin. Chinese systems = lei tai fighting, san shou/shui jiao. Korean systems don't have anything like that. Everything from TSD, to TKD, to whatever generally tends to only have some form of point sparring, or some form of heavily restricted continuous contact.

Now I'm not saying get rid of point sparring or Olympic sparring or whatever, but all these organizations and styles should at the very least offer some sort of full contact full range fighting competitions, because I think it would be very interesting to see a Korean version. There's not even a Korean word describing such a competition like kumite or lei tai.

: /