• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

No need for WTF

Each school within each style or each system has it's own personality and cannot be judged collectively in my opinion. I have been in several different TKD schools and they all have something different to offer when it comes to sparring (both Olympic and competive point) and self-defense. Therein lies the key to this whole argument...self-defense is not the same as sparring and there are those schools that teach only one or both. It is the schools that do not teach the difference between the two that are placing their students in a bad position. In addition, self-defense is not learned just in a "sparring class"-it is the art in-toto that accompishes this (for the serious student of course!).

As far as a 10 year old Black belt goes...his/her power is relative to his/her opponents (or attackers) size. I would never teach a child to go toe to toe with an adult in the street-that is what chin-na is for.

8)

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really getteth my goat when people instantly dismiss WTF because of one bad experience. My TKD dojang is a WTF dojand. It happens to be a good one. I know - I've trained in some grotty ones. I've also trained in ITF and there are good and back dojangs there too. Same as in any martial art - good and bad karate dojos, good and bad boxing gyms, good and bad whatevers.

The whole "WTF is fake/useless/no good/unrealistic/inseert derogatory word here" argument really does annoy me (although not quite as much as the ol' Okinawan v Japanese karate argument annoys me). We're all martial artists - what is right for me isn't right for you. There's enough variety in martial arts and enough places to train in martial arts for everyone to have their own little corner of it and be able to do their own thing without insulting others over their choice of art, affiliation, teacher, uniform or whatever.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

When shopping for a good TKD school, look for a good instructor who has lots of experience, not a particular organization or style. A good organization that supports the instructor is a good thing, but not necessarily the most important.

I have seen WTF tournaments, and that definately was not point sparring!

BTW, just so that you know, I am a bit more biased to the ITF style of TKD than the WTF style, but felt in all fairness, this needed to be said.

RFB

I am shocked at some of the posts in this thread...

I learn that respect for all others is very important. This also goes for accepting others opinions.

I personally only trained WTF TKD and we learn both Ji Do kwan and Moo Do Kwan. We are also taught that certain lessons are not to be done in a tournament and that some works great on the street. As for 1 style not being needed.....They are styles. This means that a person has many options to fit them when deciding what to train. A person may also switch to different styles.

I am thinking about switching not to ATA or ITF but to Grappling or some other "hand to hand" type fighting.

February 24, 2007 I received my Black Belt in WTF TKD.

The whole "WTF is fake/useless/no good/unrealistic/inseert derogatory word here" argument really does annoy me (although not quite as much as the ol' Okinawan v Japanese karate argument annoys me). We're all martial artists - what is right for me isn't right for you. There's enough variety in martial arts and enough places to train in martial arts for everyone to have their own little corner of it and be able to do their own thing without insulting others over their choice of art, affiliation, teacher, uniform or whatever.

I couldn't agree more. Like Aefibird, this argument that WTF people cant defend is old and just plain tired. Is it the very best form of self-defence? Probably not. But I can promise you the 3 guys who chose to pick a fight with me since I was a high school student, would not agree. One thing people seem to overlook is this: If you are good at taekwondo, and you can kick someone in the head moderatly hard, then imagine what you can do to their knee. Somehow people think that because taekwondo tournament does not allow a low kick, that we are oblivious to this technique. Believe me, I put two guys down with a quick roundhouse to the side/back of the knee, with a simple punch to finish. The Third guy took a side kick to the stomach, and didnt come back for more.

I'm not some great fighter, but I've trained alot, more that 15 years. Almost everyone here agrees, that it all depends on the instructor that you train with, as to the quality of the art you learn, but I want to add to that.

Also, it is the level of your physical ability. Frankly is doesnt mean anything if you have the best instructor in the best school in your area, if you are out of shape, dont keep yourself strong physically, have slow reaction time, or slow reflexes. Your ability to defend yourself relies on your own physical ability as much as the training/instruction you recieve.

Back in america, some time ago, I used to teach an aerobic kickboxing class(everyone had a class like that a that time..haha) Anyway, I only taught those girls 4 basic punches, (jab, cross, hook, uppercut)..knee atack, and 3 basic kicks, (front, side, roundhouse) and that was it. Just they did routine over and over for an hour 3 times a week. But I would put those girls in a fight (like a simple streetfight) with any woman of their own comparative age and size anytime. Because they were stronger and in better overall health because of the kickboxing class, they had inherently already increased their ability to defend themselves. I highly doubt that if they went out to a bar, and some "bigmamma" picked a fight with them, that they would "jab, cross,knee" and follow other combos they learned in class, but they would be better off because of the class . I am a firm believer that getting yourself in a good physical condition is by itself incresing your chances of surviving an attack.

Just my 2 pennies worth..

Todd

I do ITF TKD and for what I have learned is that there is no need for WTF.

It seems all that they teach is point sparring, and messed up what the general has made for us TKD martial artist. It seems that they know what people want then rather give them what they need. And they seem to be making a prophet off of it and the popularity to boot. if you read this please honestly tell me what you all think.

I'm not going to get to caught up in this argument. This one gets nasty! Is there a need for WTF, I don't know - or really care all that much. WTF put TKD "on the map" by being the "sport TKD" in the olimpics. And that's it, that's all they do. ITF is the mental side. It's kind of like ones the "jock" brother and the other is the "smart" brother. If given a choice, after years (20) of training I would chose ITF over WTF in a heart beat. But that's just me.

I am shocked at some of the posts in this thread...

Don't be to shocked.............WTF hasn't been all that great of a TKD brother. Kind of an elitist org, don't you think? I have friends in the WTF, so I don't hate them, but come on!

Understand, WTF is a governing body of TKD as a national sport of South Korea. This governing body also regulates rules which are observed to ge tthe most out of a sport with safety in mind of participants (sp).

Any Martial art that is studied is to be accecpted as an assistance to fighting, IF needed. There is no martial art that is perfect for all uses (in and out of the ring). We must nderstand what it is we are looking to learn. I accept things I am taught from my WTF master as well as I question some things. Such is life. I never say this is bad or this style is better. Accept them all as guides through life.

February 24, 2007 I received my Black Belt in WTF TKD.