• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

No need for WTF

I do ITF TKD and for what I have learned is that there is no need for WTF.

It seems all that they teach is point sparring, and messed up what the general has made for us TKD martial artist. It seems that they know what people want then rather give them what they need. And they seem to be making a prophet off of it and the popularity to boot. if you read this please honestly tell me what you all think.

If you wash your hands in anger, you never have clean hands

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems all that they teach is point sparring, and messed up what the general has made for us TKD martial artist. It seems that they know what people want then rather give them what they need. And they seem to be making a prophet off of it and the popularity to boot. if you read this please honestly tell me what you all think.

And how do you know that what they want and what they need are two different things? And not to be offensive, but if you are in an ITF school, then you are getting the ITF view of things, which will be biased in the ITF's favor.

Personally, I think there is no need for ITF or WTF, ATA has it all covered. And I've been in both WTF and ITF at various times.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Well think of it this way do you actually believe that if you were in astreet fight that point sparring is actually going to help you. just because you tap 3 times in the stomach dosent mean he or she is going to stop. And for your information I have had WTF training and tried using to defend myself from bullys and when I used a tequnieqe it only make them mad and after only two monthI was only three levels from black belt. even the parents who had no idea of martiual arts knew some thing as wrong and took their kids from it after nearly a year.

Thats when I came to ITF TKD it had more power and the ten year old children were more powerful then the instructor at WTF school.

If you wash your hands in anger, you never have clean hands

Well think of it this way do you actually believe that if you were in astreet fight that point sparring is actually going to help you. just because you tap 3 times in the stomach dosent mean he or she is going to stop. And for your information I have had WTF training and tried using to defend myself from bullys and when I used a tequnieqe it only make them mad and after only two monthI was only three levels from black belt. even the parents who had no idea of martiual arts knew some thing as wrong and took their kids from it after nearly a year.

Thats when I came to ITF TKD it had more power and the ten year old children were more powerful then the instructor at WTF school.

Well, I'm sorry you had a bad experience at your WTF school. I enjoyed my time in the WTF and got a lot out of it. As far as the bullies, if your techniques only made them mad, then you probably didn't apply them properly. Any technique done properly has the power to impede/stop an aggressor.

I also think you might be exaggerating just a bit, I know of NO school, even the worst mcdojo where you are "3 levels from a black belt" after two months in a school (Unless the next 3 levels are 6-8 months apiece :D).

I won't even discuss a "10 year old" having as much power as a full grown male.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

Mean Fighter, I know you're new to this forum, but this argument has gone on, on various posts on this forum for a long time, and it has always resolved the same way: Each instructor is different, regardless of which federation (or organization) they are affiliated with. Yes there are some problems and political issues in modern day TKD, and there certainly are those schools that teach only for sport, but if you think that a label, be it WTF, ITF, ATA, USTU, USSSA, etc. can describe the ability of any individual martial artist, you are seriously kidding yourself. First of all, it seems that the school you trained at while in WTF was severely lacking in martial arts know how. No one gets three levels away from Black belt in 2 months, even if they are a master in another style. This particular school you trained at is obviously misrepresenting themselves as a martial arts school. Second, no 10 year old is as powerful as an adult. Ever. Sorry, but it's just not physically possible. And finally, it's my personal opinion that no TKD federations, or any martial arts organizations of that sort are necessary at all. You find an instructor you like, and put your all into your trainnig, and you will be successful. That's all there is to it. there are no shortcuts, and no amazing masters that can make you a great martial artist. Only you can do that for yourself.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

Well, I'm sorry you had a bad experience at your WTF school. I enjoyed my time in the WTF and got a lot out of it. As far as the bullies, if your techniques only made them mad, then you probably didn't apply them properly. Any technique done properly has the power to impede/stop an aggressor.

I also think you might be exaggerating just a bit, I know of NO school, even the worst mcdojo where you are "3 levels from a black belt" after two months in a school (Unless the next 3 levels are 6-8 months apiece :D).

I won't even discuss a "10 year old" having as much power as a full grown male.

Aodhan

Also forgot: If you use a point sparring technique in a street fight, then yes, all you will do is irritate them. That's why every school I've ever been in (Kenpo, ITF, WTF, ATA, Shotokan) teaches the difference in techniques between street and tournament.

Aodhan

If we're going to use the same logic you're using here, then I'd say there's no need for the ITF..or the WTF either for that matter. Why isn't there just one TKD organization? Or just one automobile? Or just one of anything you can name?

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

It does very much depend on the school that you attend for any version of TKD. However the WTF as a whole does not teach "point sparring" The ATA teaches "point sparring". The WTF teaches "olympic style" or "sport" TKD. One of the major differences being that "point sparring" is light to no contact. And "olympic" or "sport" style is semi to full contact. And as pointed out earlier the majority of schools will teach you what is appropriate for the ring and what is appropriate for self defence. You will find from time to time schools that just want to turn out tournament competitors. And thats ok. It takes all kinds to fill up this world we live in.

-Theadric

White Belt

I do WTF. We don't do point sparring. We do full contact (light to med with lower ranks, and kids). WTF isn't all that bad. Even my jujitsu intructor was impressed with our defenses that we learn (at my dojang, anywho).

Like it was said before, it depends on the instructor/dojang. So you can't group all of us in one group with the McDojangs because of one bad experience. You should actually seek out a good WTF dojang and check out the difference (they are few and far between, though, so look hard). You would be amazed.

Laurie F